Thread: US Acoustics Lanna or Phoenix Gold SX2 1200.6 6-channel amplifier?

1. Back To Top    #1

US Acoustics Lanna or Phoenix Gold SX2 1200.6 6-channel amplifier?

I've been researching 6-channel amplifiers for a little while, now. After reviewing numerous ones, I've narrowed it down to the US Acoustics Lanna or the Phoenix Gold SX2 1200.6.

I'm strictly after sound quality. Both have the same power. Both designed by very reputable engineers. The PG is a Class D and the US Acoustics is an AB. I'm leaning toward the Lanna. But, it is a HUGE amp. And, however, will cost me double the other but, that's irrelevant if it is a better sounding amp (don't try and tell me all amps sound alike!!!) It will cost me double because I will have to get a high output alternator and have a mechanic install it.

What are your guys' opinions of these amps. I know they are not very popular amps and thus, I probably won't get a lot of responses, here. But, whatever info I can get I will appreciate.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Re: US Acoustics Lanna or Phoenix Gold SX2 1200.6 6-channel amplifier?

I recently switched to AB and won't be going back to digital unless I need to. Reasons for digital are to save space, less heat, more efficient. Digital has come a long way but I don't think they quite hit the SQ mark for me. I vote Lana. It also has no crossovers and thats a big plus for me.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    I recently switched to AB and won't be going back to digital unless I need to. Reasons for digital are to save space, less heat, more efficient. Digital has come a long way but I don't think they quite hit the SQ mark for me. I vote Lana. It also has no crossovers and thats a big plus for me.
    Yeah, I really like the Lanna. But, looking at my trunk shows me that I may have trouble installing that big, big amp. My trunk narrows quite a bit towards where the back is located. I might be able to install it, but it will be very close to being too long. But, if I have to, I think I would like the Phoenix Gold SX2 1200.6. I was reading somewhere that one "feature" of a great sounding amp was to have a long row of capacitors in the amp, which is why Class D amps may not sound as good. Don't know if that is true, or not, but if it is the PG is a pretty long amp, as well. It's as long as my Arc Audio KS900.6, which is definitely not a small amp.

I've never owned a Class D amp. I've always had Class AB. But, I think if I end up with the PG, I think I will be very happy with it. Just think I'll be happier with the Lanna. I really do like my present amp, but, it is on it's last legs and a new one will definitely be needed.

4. Back To Top    #4

mike (owner of us acoustics) makes a good product, is super helpful, and involved w/ the community. you'll regularly see him at shows, both sq and spl.

he also sponsors the various orgs:
    * the site layout's a bit weird but https://mecacaraudio.com/sponsors/me...ors-directory/
    * https://iasca.com/industry-brands/

(all their amps are named after family members)

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, after long contemplation, I decided on the US Acoustics Lanna. Got it from SSA (Sound Solutions Audio) for $60 less than getting it directly from US Acoustics. SSA is an authorized dealer and I still get the 2-year warranty that comes with the unit if bought directly from the manufacturer.

I don't think I would have made a bad choice, either way. That PG amp looked very nice and had lots of really nice features. I might have even been able to get 10 volts out of my Eclipse CD8454 using that amp, which would have made it a very quiet amp...I am guessing. But, I like the AB topology of the Lanna and the lack of crossovers, which will be handled by my DSP.

I've read lots of great things about the Lanna and got quick responses from US Acoustics when I had questions about the amp, which leads me to believe that their customer service is probably pretty darn good. I wait with anticipation for the amp's delivery.