Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helix Director Encoder

1. Back To Top    #1

Helix Director Encoder

Hey guys, Has anyone else replaced a worn encoder on the Director as I know this is a common issue? I’m really trying not to purchase a new unit. If anyone could help me with which part to source it would be a great help. I’ve reached out to Af and MSC unsuccessfully. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Helix Director Encoder

Last fall my Director encoder started to go while it was still under warranty (lucky!). From what I recall, the guy at MSC told me they were going to replace the encoder but found that it was soldered to the main board. So they ended up giving me an entirely new Director.

If you're decent at desoldering/soldering it's probably still doable (assuming it's through-hole and not surface-mount). But I don't know how you'd source the part if ATF and MSC won't help you out...
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately mine is not under warranty so was just trying to get the part and have a computer repair guy or such replace it for me… We’ll see. Appreciate your input!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by goatpanda View Post
    Last fall my Director encoder started to go while it was still under warranty (lucky!). From what I recall, the guy at MSC told me they were going to replace the encoder but found that it was soldered to the main board. So they ended up giving me an entirely new Director.

If you're decent at desoldering/soldering it's probably still doable (assuming it's through-hole and not surface-mount). But I don't know how you'd source the part if ATF and MSC won't help you out...
    its surface mount, 5 electrical soldered connections and maybe some extra legs for stability, hopefully the conductor isn’t the same rotary encoder and it lasts a fair while longer

they are a bitch to remove, cutting the existing encoder apart is the easiest method, then one you have the contacts as singles you can then unsolder each ‘leg’ and remove all traces from the board and put a new one on

5. Back To Top    #5

Ooof that sucks. Not impossible, but as you said that would be a pain in the ass to replace.

For how expensive the thing is, it's pretty disappointing to hear that this is a common failure...

After mine was replaced, I changed my settings to 2db volume steps. It's less precise, but I don't have to crank the knob as much (the Director is my main volume control). Hopefully that extends the life of it. I don't want a Conductor as I like having the display (temp and voltage readings are nice) and the tone controls (global bass/treble shelf). The Conductor seems pretty limited.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

6. Back To Top    #6

Where did you source the part? Having a harder time than I thought it would be.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

If you take a few close and detailed pictures, especially of any markings or numbers ... then I promise I will stare at them really hard. I might be able to find something that looks similar on Digikey, but no promises!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

8. Back To Top    #8

I know Peter got a small quantity once upon a time from Audiotec Fischer so it may be worth asking them for spares, I don’t know if numbers were present or not

i can certainly split a conductor open and see if there’s evidence of a number on that item, Maybe alps do a better quality replacement perhaps
    Last edited by dumdum; 02-24-2022 at 02:33 AM.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    If you take a few close and detailed pictures, especially of any markings or numbers ... then I promise I will stare at them really hard. I might be able to find something that looks similar on Digikey, but no promises!
    Did you guys ever find a replacement? I'm getting ready to tear down my Conductor

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Rich

This is the encoder I bought quite some time ago. IIRC it is an Alps brand that I purchased. I never got around to installing it but it appears that it will work correctly. Part number is high lighted in screen shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2023-06-15-08-05-56-59_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	18586