Thread: Voltage drop after inline fuse

1. Back To Top    #1

Voltage drop after inline fuse

My battery died after 2 wks at the airport parking lot and had to get my car jump started. Since then, my amps aren't turning on, going into protect mode. I checked connections with my multimeter and found that I am getting a voltage of ~10V after my inline fuse right off the battery, 14V before the fuse. Simple question, am I correct in assuming that this means the fuse is bad and needs replacement?
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Voltage drop after inline fuse

Hmm, doubtful the fuse itself is a problem. Fuses usually work, or they don't.

There might be something else wrong near the fuse like corrosion or a poor connection. I suspect there is something you haven't found yet.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Hmm, doubtful the fuse itself is a problem. Fuses usually work, or they don't.

There might be something else wrong near the fuse like corrosion or a poor connection. I suspect there is something you haven't found yet.
    Hmm. I mean I guess the fuse holder isn't completely sealed, and I do live in the Midwest. I just don't get why the problems would present only after the jump start. With the voltage drop after the fuse, there shouldn't be any reason to check stuff downstream correct?
    2014 Honda Accord LX

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

What kind of fuse is it? Especially with the AGU fuses (the little glass tubes with the caps on the end) the metal bar comes disconnected from the end but is making JUST enough contact that it’s allowing some current to flow through it. The simple, and cheapest, fix is to replace the fuse and see if it solves the problem. You could also check the continuity and/or resistance with a DMM from one end to the other (not installed) and see what you get.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
    What kind of fuse is it? Especially with the AGU fuses (the little glass tubes with the caps on the end) the metal bar comes disconnected from the end but is making JUST enough contact that it’s allowing some current to flow through it. The simple, and cheapest, fix is to replace the fuse and see if it solves the problem. You could also check the continuity and/or resistance with a DMM from one end to the other (not installed) and see what you get.
    It's an ANL fuse. I've got fuses on order. Will check continuity.
    2014 Honda Accord LX

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm guessing maybe something was loose. I added on a new battery terminal today to clean up wiring, and now my amps are working properly again. I think for my next car, I'm gonna go with lugs for the fuse instead of set screws.
    2014 Honda Accord LX