Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best Car For Audio

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Eric

Re: Best Car For Audio

Good deal, looking forward to meeting you!

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    I am, in fact, referring to Ryans Camry! That thing was scary open and airy, he has done a remarkable job tuning and if I weren't so old, I'd move to NY and have him tune my car LOL!
    Eric, if we both make it to Jason's meet in May - I would be happy to spend the time to tune your car ... IIRC, That DSP has a LOT of potential that's not currently being utilized.

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Todd - 1 more vote for a Camry '12-'17
    Easily fit larger woofers in the doors, along with 3-3.5" mids in the factory dash location... and most 4" mids can be shoehorned in as well.
    Headunit can easily be replaced without losing factory functionality using an Idatalink RR kit. Metra makes a great dash trim kit for it too.
    And there is just something about the factory dash locations combined with the geometry of the interior that just really works well for getting a wide soundstage.
    Not to mention one of the most reliable cars on the road and respectable mileage... Heck the hybrid gets almost 50 mpg but the battery area behind the rear seat rules out an IB sub.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Ryan, I'm going to be a cornball here and try to piggyback my way into having you take a listen to my car as well and see if you can give me some tips on coaxing better sound out of it. I can give you the full equipment list if you'd like in a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
    Eric, if we both make it to Jason's meet in May - I would be happy to spend the time to tune your car ... IIRC, That DSP has a LOT of potential that's not currently being utilized.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDictator View Post
    Ryan, I'm going to be a cornball here and try to piggyback my way into having you take a listen to my car as well and see if you can give me some tips on coaxing better sound out of it. I can give you the full equipment list if you'd like in a PM
    Hey man, no problem.. I try to listen to as many cars as possible at these meets. They are a great place to get new ideas and learn new things from the collective mind of us car audio junkies
    I'll check out your build log soon and get back to you... but right off the bat I can tell you that if your source is the high level outputs from the factory toyota/jbl amp .. that right there is very likely the biggest bottleneck.

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Eric

Thanks Ryan, I greatly appreciate the offer!!! I'm in the process of changing amps and speakers so a complete tune will be necessary... hopefully I have that tune done before the meet, but will definitely take you up on your offer regardless

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Eric

And there is just something about the factory dash locations combined with the geometry of the interior that just really works well for getting a wide soundstage.
    Not to mention one of the most reliable cars on the road and respectable mileage... Heck the hybrid gets almost 50 mpg but the battery area behind the rear seat rules out an IB sub.
    I can 110% vouch for Ryan's statement... when most people talk about soundstage width, they discuss cues around the A-pillars and sail panel area. In Ryan's car, I heard cues to the left and right of my shoulders... I mean waaaay wide!!! I'm sure that the geometry of the car has a lot to do with that, but I remember Ryan discussing off-axis angles for his tweeters so I feel that he is being modest regarding his install and tuning skills!

8. Back To Top    #38

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    By the way, I’ve always wanted a mid or rear engine car not only for track but so I could put a 6th order bandpass sub in the frunk and pipe in the up front bass.
    I thought about doing this in my '74 super beetle when I was a teenager in the 90s...
    I wasn't brave enough back then.

But also - an egg shaped Beetle with it's tank-think old school steel roof construction is ludicrously perfect for bass. A pair of tens behind the rear seat and the way it just opens up into the interior... Those acoustics are giggle-worthy, for bass. So I didn't end up feeling too motivated at the time.

That said - if you aren't afraid of cutting the firewall and want to take a deep dive on horn design - I always wondered if you could do a horn driver extended way out into the engine bay, if you could get those left and right divers waaaay out there...
    Something to ponder.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

I have the ampro in there to try and mitigate that but I'll, hopefully, get your ear on it soon so we can work it out.

Hey man, no problem.. I try to listen to as many cars as possible at these meets. They are a great place to get new ideas and learn new things from the collective mind of us car audio junkies
    I'll check out your build log soon and get back to you... but right off the bat I can tell you that if your source is the high level outputs from the factory toyota/jbl amp .. that right there is very likely the biggest bottleneck.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

10. Back To Top    #40
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
    I’ve heard Ryan’s Camry as well, although it was about 3 years ago or so (possibly longer) at Ian’s GTG. I’m sure it’s not even the same equipment at this point but it was still very impressive then so if it’s done nothing but improve from there it’s gotta be nice.
    It's worlds apart from what it was back then, every iteration sounds great and he is constantly improving it.

Sounds like you're gonna be busy at the meet in May!! You're gonna need a table like Steve and Kiser usually set up
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix