Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Car For Audio

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Best Car For Audio

So… I don’t think my Malibu is going to last me a whole lot longer. Of course it has to happen after I FINALLY have it tuned and sounding amazing. There’s a few spots of rust that are popping up, the power steering pump is making noise, it’s going to need a new exhaust including cats soon among other things, not to mention it’s getting up there in mileage.

So my question is if you had to get a new (used) car and wanted the best platform for an SQ system what would you buy and why?

Personally, I’m looking for a used car <$18,000, preferably about 25mpg+ as it’ll be my daily commuter, and be able to use my 3-way components up front and my 15” sub in a trunk baffle IB. The ability to replace the radio is a MUST… I love my new Excelon 10.5” too much to not use it.

So far my front runners are a Lexus ES350, Acura TSX or the Camry & Accord. The other possibility is my mom’s 12 VW Passat which would be free as she said she’s willing to give it to me. The ONLY problem I have with that is I LOATHE VWs. It’s a good car and relatively low mileage (typical old lady driven car) but it’s a VW. If I get it, though, I’m not against buying new gear to fit the install easier. I’m looking to drop about $5-6k on a down payment for a car so I wouldn’t mind dropping that on new gear and/or install for the Passat. I’m getting up there in mileage too so I’m not sure if I want to do this all myself this time around.

Any recommendations? I figure a luxury brand would be a decent base as far as deadening goes (I’ll obviously add more) so I’ve been looking at the aforementioned Lexus, Acura as well as Infinity. European brands like BMW, Benz or Audi are out as I don’t like the cost of maintenance/repair on those even with my discount for working at a BMW, Benz, Audi dealer.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Best Car For Audio

Just my 2 cents, but it will depend on your installation choices. If you are putting stuff into factory locations, then that needs to be carefully considered in the choice of car. If you are going full custom/on axis route, then look for a deep, wide dash, with as much "extra" room between the drivers seat and the pillar. IE: space to the left of the drivers position. Also consider kicks or doors and make sure there is room for what you want to do.

After that, maybe interior materials. Look for softer dashes (leather over plastic), door panels etc. to help with reflections, buzzing and interior noise. Finally, overall build quality and general sturdiness. Usually luxury cars are just build better then a more average brand or model. More rigidity.

You will probably find several that fit the bill for a cool install, so if thats the case, make sure you buy something you actually enjoy driving. Something you can feel proud to own. Good luck!

3. Back To Top    #3

qualities i'd want:
    - factory 3-4" dash mounted midrange
    - factory or easily add 1" tweeter in sails
    - 8" or 6x9" in the doors

so a couple come to mind that i've been in and know can sound good: early/mid 2010s camry? 2nd gen cts (cts-v)?

4. Back To Top    #4

I can tell you one that isn’t. A Jeep Wrangler.

5. Back To Top    #5

Kicks with 8-10” midbass, small dash, verticalish front screen, decent pillars or sail panels are all things I’m looking for currently in my next car

6. Back To Top    #6

Recent benz and mazda vehicles have midbasses/subs on the firewall. I’ve helped a couple people with tunes in their benzs, they work out well. Need a midrange that can play to 200hz and/or get creative with cutting back (or venting) the carpet.

both options seemed like they were out of budget for this case, though

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Save for the tweets in sails...ironically this is what my car currently has and I still can't get it right.

In the future I'd like to have my tweets on axis and have my doors beefed up considerably but this generation's Avalon has nearly everything you spoke of....I kind of wish they had the mids mounted like that last generation Genesis G80 had...they're up closer to your ears

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    qualities i'd want:
    - factory 3-4" dash mounted midrange
    - factory or easily add 1" tweeter in sails
    - 8" or 6x9" in the doors

so a couple come to mind that i've been in and know can sound good: early/mid 2010s camry? 2nd gen cts (cts-v)?
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

8. Back To Top    #8

tesla model 3 is a great platform as well, checks all the boxes above (but also out of budget for this thread)

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    Hmmmm… not sure how I missed that one. Some of the input is good though. I may be willing to stretch the budget a bit if the right car comes along.