1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Alex
    Vehicle
    Hyundai Getz

Re: Trouble With my Amp I Think

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    I worry about two problems...

I mean sure, check the amp. If you are only using 2 of 4 channels and it's shutting off, something is wrong.

Is it going into protect? There's usually an LED for that, even on cheap amps that would dare advertise a stupid BS number like "5000 watts!" on a 4 channel amp. Or is it actually shutting off (no power LED or protect LED lit)?

Disconnect the speaker leads, measure the ohms with a handheld meter. Even the cheapest meters will be within .1 ohm of the actual DCR. That amp should be able to handle a 2 ohm nominal load, which could measure as low as 1.7, maybe 1.6 DCR without going into protect, I would think.

Resistance DOES change with temperature, and voice coils heat up when more power is applied. It's one reason to design efficiently rather than back yourself into a corner where you need 1000 (real, RMS, non-flea-market) watts to drive a single sub...
    You really shouldn't have an issue with full-range speakers - that DCR ohms measurement is key.

And of course of your ground is poor or connections aren't secure, power wire insufficient (etc) that can cause protect mode also.

But my "two problems" ISN'T that.

First - I would shoot myself in short order if I only had rear speakers to listen to!

Assuming that is temporary - Stereo means two channels and "rear" ruins imaging more often than it helps it. You won't find exotic home stereo systems with rear speakers - even home theater systems run front-only stereo mode on a stereo (or 2.1) source.
    You want the sound from your speakers to arrive at your ears the same as they left the speaker. You don't want another set of speakers playing from a different distance causing phase-based "comb filtering" cancellations across the whole frequency spectrum. Google "comb filtering audio" and look at an image of how many peaks and cancellation dips that can make for.

Second thing is -
    You said you are shopping for a sub. I assume this is a sedan of some sort? I only say that because you mentioned 6x9s, which are (or used to be) common for rear deck speakers. Also - if those were rear door speakers, you would have more quickly realized you were only getting sound on one side.
    That said-
    If you are shopping for a sub for the trunk, those rear speakers are blocking the easiest path for the sub's sound pressure to enter the cabin.

Three issues with that:
    1) That energy will find other ways into the cabin - buzzing and rattling everything it beats against.
    2) You'll likely lose a couple dB since it's having to pass through seat foam and deck panels, etc.
    3) That pressure WILL still play ping-pong with those rear 6x9s, each beat from the sub pushing on the 6x9's cones. If you only had the sub playing, you'd see your 6x9s moving like they were passive radiators.

I'd suggest
    a) ditch the 6x9s, even if you figure out the amp issue. Grille is fine, but leave the openings vacant so sub bass enters the cabin freely.
    b) use the 4 channels of the amp to power a midrange and tweeter up front - assuming the amp is OK.

You'll have both better sound AND bass, and you'll have tuning options with your front speakers Xover points that could even allow them to be louder (on top of cleaner) than four speakers fighting each other.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hi geolemon;74616

I did upgrade my front door speakers and rear. In front it is 6.5 Sony Explod speakers and rear door Speakers are Pioneer 6.5.
    I was thinking of connecting them to the amp as well but when the guy installed my speakers he connected them to my radio instead.
    The problem I was having with what sounds like amp switching off while playing seems to have gone away , they are pumping again as usual.
    The Car I am driving is a hatch back , I hear what you are saying about sub and 6x9's sounds logic , but when I had similar setup in previous car , it sounded great and I got 114 decibels out of it. Which I think was not that bad.
    But technology has changed over the years. But I wouldn't mind having round about the same power and bass out of this new system

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Alex
    Vehicle
    Hyundai Getz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amp.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	16896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head Unit.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	16897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Car.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	16898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speakers.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	16899
    OK This is how I have the setup
    The amp is loose in the back of the boot at this point , I put it against the back of the seat but sins the back of the seat doesnt have any support I took it down , was afraid it might fall off while driving so now is just lying in my boot , When i get Sub with its box and amplifier I can attach both the amplifier against the box

3. Back To Top    #13

So with those 6x9s mounted where they are you actually have one more issue - that's a tiny baffle. There isn't even 12" between the 6x9 and the side of the baffle where it meets the side of the hatch, and there's less than that distance to the front and rear edge.
    And I'm going to guess none of those edges is an airtight seal.

That may or may NOT cause that to limit the bass you can get from those 6x9s. The better the seal, the less the loss - but I'd still want to optimize as best I could...
    It might be possible to build a relatively light, single fiberglass clamshell behind those 6x9s to enclose them in a reasonably large space. You could mock one up in wood to test the idea before going down that road.

Then, with the 6x9s no longer needing the rear deck as a free-air type baffle, I would personally take that rear deck and narrow it by 1" on each side, or 1" from the rear - somewhere to prevent it from muffling a sub that you want to have beneath there.

That way, your 6x9s are actually maximally performing, the sub can't play tennis with their cones, AND the full energy of the subs can enter the cabin unobstructed.

But that's just me.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Alex
    Vehicle
    Hyundai Getz

Well I think I have found the problem why my amp would suddenly shut off.
    See Picture for what I am talking about. But in any how I put one of these luggs or what ever it is called on the cable pulled out , so clamped a new on and is like new . I turned down my amp and put up the volume on my radio and re adjusted the volume levels so now the sound is more rounded off. I will be installing a 10"Targa Sub with incloser little bit later so I can get more bass for the car. Thanks for every one who replied learned something new every day LOL
    Name:  Luggs.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  22.2 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10044480_hfc_9bc1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	17099