Thread: Trouble With my Amp I Think

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Alex
    Vehicle
    Hyundai Getz

Cool Trouble With my Amp I Think

Hi Guys

I have installed some new sound in my car about year ago , was tired of the standard sound setup in the car.
    So I bought myself 2 Sony Explod 6x9 , 2 Sony explod 6.5 Inch door speakers and 2 Pioneer 6.5 inch door speakers with a 5000 w street audio amp.
    Struggled the first few months to get the sound right , but later figured out the installer did not connect my 6x9's right on the amp so only one was playing the whole time , after connecting it the right way the sound was great !!!!!!

But sins a couple of weeks ago it sounds like my 6x9's cut out ( like amp shuts off ) , but it comes back on after a minute or two or after I switch of my head united on and off again.
    could the problem be because amp is getting to hot in the back of my boot , or is it due to something else ? Car stands in the sun a lot when I am at work , but problem started in the night when I came back from a pub and I was pumping my system. But it doesn't cut out everyday it happens once in a while , and sometimes twice so yea I just need some info to start looking for the problem .
    Last edited by Bass Money; 01-06-2022 at 04:04 AM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Re: Trouble With my Amp I Think

sounds like a wiring problem

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alex
    Vehicle
    Hyundai Getz

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    sounds like a wiring problem
    Seems like I know what I will be doing this weekend LOL
    DDisconnect all wires and put them back again and then see if the problem goes away

Thanks #Stycker

4. Back To Top    #4

could be a low impedance thing too. It looks like you have 6 speakers. How many channels on this 5000watt amp?
    2018 Crosstrek Helix P-Six DSP Mk2 AF GB15 AF GB25 AF GS690 Audiomobile Evo 8(2) PPI Art Series A600.2

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alex
    Vehicle
    Hyundai Getz

Quote Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
    could be a low impedance thing too. It looks like you have 6 speakers. How many channels on this 5000watt amp?
    I have 4 channels and I am only using the front channel. Front door and rear door speakers run directly of the radìo have not connected them too amp

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

I don’t know anything about that particular amp, as I’ve never even heard of it, but I’d be willing to bet it’s a bad ground. I’ve also heard before (and anyone can feel free to correct me) that leaving channels of an amplifier unused is not good for the power supply. Why not use all 4 channels of the amp? Pictures of the install might help the diagnosis. So many people underestimate the importance of a good ground. Where is it grounded? What size wire are you using?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alex
    Vehicle
    Hyundai Getz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41aI2q-d9RL._AC_SY1000_.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	16766Name:  download.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  5.5 KB

This is the setup I have in the back of my car at the moment , speakers are not so bad actually the perform the way I want.
    But the idiot who installed the speakers and the amp connected one speaker on Front channel ( say Left side ) and other on Right rear channel on amp . But I have no RCA's Cables connected to rear channels so nothing came out .
    I started playing around with the speaker wires and found this out and I connected them the right way and they play awesome. But it is just from time to time that it sounds like the amp cuts out while playing and only the speakers connected to radio ( door speakers ) play on. and then suddenly it will come back again and pump on for days without issues.

My ass is itching to for more bass so i have been looking around for Subs etc. and I can get myself now 12 inch Box with 12 inch Ice Power Sub , 2 x 240 w Tweeters 6000w Audiofusion amp and 2 x Ice Power 6x9's for good price but I will 10 t0 1 only use the tweeters and sub and box and amp for there is nothing wrong with the speakers. Bit now I am wondering would it be better maybe just to buy a sub with box and connect them to the amp I am using now for 6x9's ? and just get second set of RCA's to go to the rear channel ?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Years ago, I had a similar problem. It turned out the right speaker wire didn't get crimped properly...and one strand was sticking out, heating up, and touching the other terminal

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

That looks like it’s a class D amp. If that’s the case it NEEDS to have a speaker on ALL channels for it to work properly. Either hook up 4 speakers to it or bridge it to 2 channels if possible.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Money View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41aI2q-d9RL._AC_SY1000_.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	16766Name:  download.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  5.5 KB

This is the setup I have in the back of my car at the moment , speakers are not so bad actually the perform the way I want.
    But the idiot who installed the speakers and the amp connected one speaker on Front channel ( say Left side ) and other on Right rear channel on amp . But I have no RCA's Cables connected to rear channels so nothing came out .
    I started playing around with the speaker wires and found this out and I connected them the right way and they play awesome. But it is just from time to time that it sounds like the amp cuts out while playing and only the speakers connected to radio ( door speakers ) play on. and then suddenly it will come back again and pump on for days without issues.

My ass is itching to for more bass so i have been looking around for Subs etc. and I can get myself now 12 inch Box with 12 inch Ice Power Sub , 2 x 240 w Tweeters 6000w Audiofusion amp and 2 x Ice Power 6x9's for good price but I will 10 t0 1 only use the tweeters and sub and box and amp for there is nothing wrong with the speakers. Bit now I am wondering would it be better maybe just to buy a sub with box and connect them to the amp I am using now for 6x9's ? and just get second set of RCA's to go to the rear channel ?
    I worry about two problems...

I mean sure, check the amp. If you are only using 2 of 4 channels and it's shutting off, something is wrong.

Is it going into protect? There's usually an LED for that, even on cheap amps that would dare advertise a stupid BS number like "5000 watts!" on a 4 channel amp. Or is it actually shutting off (no power LED or protect LED lit)?

Disconnect the speaker leads, measure the ohms with a handheld meter. Even the cheapest meters will be within .1 ohm of the actual DCR. That amp should be able to handle a 2 ohm nominal load, which could measure as low as 1.7, maybe 1.6 DCR without going into protect, I would think.

Resistance DOES change with temperature, and voice coils heat up when more power is applied. It's one reason to design efficiently rather than back yourself into a corner where you need 1000 (real, RMS, non-flea-market) watts to drive a single sub...
    You really shouldn't have an issue with full-range speakers - that DCR ohms measurement is key.

And of course of your ground is poor or connections aren't secure, power wire insufficient (etc) that can cause protect mode also.

But my "two problems" ISN'T that.

First - I would shoot myself in short order if I only had rear speakers to listen to!

Assuming that is temporary - Stereo means two channels and "rear" ruins imaging more often than it helps it. You won't find exotic home stereo systems with rear speakers - even home theater systems run front-only stereo mode on a stereo (or 2.1) source.
    You want the sound from your speakers to arrive at your ears the same as they left the speaker. You don't want another set of speakers playing from a different distance causing phase-based "comb filtering" cancellations across the whole frequency spectrum. Google "comb filtering audio" and look at an image of how many peaks and cancellation dips that can make for.

Second thing is -
    You said you are shopping for a sub. I assume this is a sedan of some sort? I only say that because you mentioned 6x9s, which are (or used to be) common for rear deck speakers. Also - if those were rear door speakers, you would have more quickly realized you were only getting sound on one side.
    That said-
    If you are shopping for a sub for the trunk, those rear speakers are blocking the easiest path for the sub's sound pressure to enter the cabin.

Three issues with that:
    1) That energy will find other ways into the cabin - buzzing and rattling everything it beats against.
    2) You'll likely lose a couple dB since it's having to pass through seat foam and deck panels, etc.
    3) That pressure WILL still play ping-pong with those rear 6x9s, each beat from the sub pushing on the 6x9's cones. If you only had the sub playing, you'd see your 6x9s moving like they were passive radiators.

I'd suggest
    a) ditch the 6x9s, even if you figure out the amp issue. Grille is fine, but leave the openings vacant so sub bass enters the cabin freely.
    b) use the 4 channels of the amp to power a midrange and tweeter up front - assuming the amp is OK.

You'll have both better sound AND bass, and you'll have tuning options with your front speakers Xover points that could even allow them to be louder (on top of cleaner) than four speakers fighting each other.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk