Thread: Securing Drivers in A-Pillar Pods

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2014 Kia Sorento EX

Question Securing Drivers in A-Pillar Pods

Anyone have any tips on how to secure a 2"-3" driver in an A-pillar pod without using the large, goofy steel mounting ears - as in, if I cut them off to make the front face 100% circular, has anyone made a friction fit or used some type of clamping fasteners from the inside?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Securing Drivers in A-Pillar Pods

Not sure if i understand what you mean by steel mounting ears. I make ABS or acrylic rings then drill & tap the ring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	575F8BF6-C182-4463-9F5E-89A4AFED5111.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	16727

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2014 Kia Sorento EX

what I mean is if you have a driver with large mounting ears and you want to cut them off. What other methods could be employed to secure the driver?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    what I mean is if you have a driver with large mounting ears and you want to cut them off. What other methods could be employed to secure the driver?
    Hmmm, Bond apiece of metal in the A pillar then use the drivers magnet to attach to the metal then firm press fit trim ring some thing like in the attached image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54C1AE01-239F-478C-AEB8-80DC1041424E.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	16728

5. Back To Top    #5

If you are looking to maximize the "smallness" - there's things you could do.

1) pick a smaller driver. Sure, you may need to raise your midbass to mid Xover point - but if smallness is a priority this is the easy way out.

2) If you have a driver with mounting "tabs" rather than a full mounting ring, cutting the tabs off shouldn't jeopardize the integrity of the surround, as cutting a mounting ring off would.

a) In that case, you may be able to drill small holes in the remaining ring that the surround is attached to. Yes, you may need to source tiny skinny screws. Yes, you may need to drill holes diagonally away from your driver so they go into your pod.

b) you could use an adhesive - I'd probably choose a less-permanent one like silicone, which could be cut through to release a driver down the road.

Some pics or a model number would help us see the driver to make better suggestions.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2014 Kia Sorento EX

FaitalPro 3FE22

Attachment 16773

Nominal Diameter 80 mm (3 in)
    Overall Diameter 105.6/81 mm (4.16/3.19 in)
    Bolt Circle Diameter 92 mm (3.62 in)
    Baffle Cutout Diameter 73.6 mm (2.90 in)
    Depth 46 mm (1.81 in)
    Flange and Gasket Thickness 6.5 mm (0.26 in)

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't tell if that foam gasket outside the surround is actually part of the surround or can be removed, or how well its bonded to the basket to use in a structural capacity, but next question would be "are you looking to mount traditionally, or mount from behind?"

I say that because if mounting traditionally, and opting for silicone adhesive - cutting the tabs off look to be no problem, no risk.

If mounting from behind (like to a trim ring then securing the trim ring to your baffle), I'd want to know if that gasket were secure enough to use to adhere to, or if I'd want to remove it, then adhere to the basket directly.

Either way, you might be able to drill tiny holes right where that gasket is, and use screws - it might be easier to drill if you don't have the gasket there. If it's attached to the surround you really need to be careful, since a spinning bit could catch and twist the whole surround, ripping or mangling it - so extra caution, consideration, and care, there.

If attached I'd hesitate to cut a circle inside the gasket to separate it from the surround, since that would reduce the surround's area of adherence, maybe it would let go over time requiring re-gluing.

But in theory - cutting those tabs off - that itself will be harmless if you have a good way to do it that doesn't cause too much heat - as that could also weaken the surround's adhesive bond.

If you can be super careful, I think there's lots of options for you.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2014 Kia Sorento EX

here's the technical drawing for reference:

Attachment 16778