Thread: Need some Help choosing a new set of 8s for my front doors

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Need some Help choosing a new set of 8s for my front doors

I'll start with the horrific news. Somehow, someway....my passenger front door speaker has blown. Confirmed this morning after low volume playing post snowstorm up here in Maryland...I heard the familiar and terrifying crackling sound of a blown speaker and immediately cursed my entire trip to work down 95.

With that out of the way, I am hoping that you intelligent well-versed gentleman (and women if they are still present and active) can help me choose some sturdy woofers to replace my now defunct w800neo.

Setup is essentially free air in the door that has been deadened to a moderate to decent degree with more deadening to come in the spring. Being fed by channels from a z-150.6 SP...midbass duties with frequencies from 75-300 I believe (if I'm off, I'm still close.)

Thanks in advance for the help.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some Help choosing a new set of 8s for my front doors

Damn, that sucks, sorry to hear that! It might be good to double-check that there wasn't some other issue that caused the woofer to die (like a failing amp). I know someone who absolutely beats on his w800neos daily, he's run them for awhile now without issue.

For a few higher-end 8" midbass ideas: Many people swear by the JL ZR800's, but they're discontinued and difficult to find. The Focal Utopia 8WM's are really nice but probably really pricey. On DIYMA some folks have been saying good things about the BLAM Signature 8's.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Thanks man....yeah I'll figure it out hopefully. I'm wildly uneducated with a lot of this so it will be a long slog to figure out issues. Any ideas where I can start? Also, yeah I love those ZRs and Utopias but definitely beginning to dance in a price range that I don't know the footwork for. I'll take a look at the BLAMs as well

Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by goatpanda View Post
    Damn, that sucks, sorry to hear that! It might be good to double-check that there wasn't some other issue that caused the woofer to die (like a failing amp). I know someone who absolutely beats on his w800neos daily, he's run them for awhile now without issue.

For a few higher-end 8" midbass ideas: Many people swear by the JL ZR800's, but they're discontinued and difficult to find. The Focal Utopia 8WM's are really nice but probably really pricey. On DIYMA some folks have been saying good things about the BLAM Signature 8's.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

4. Back To Top    #4

surprised you were able to get them dead. might have something in the coil gap but won't really know until you pull the driver and play some tones.

illusion audio c8s are another option.

5. Back To Top    #5

For quick reference (as someone actively shopping for them), the BLAM Signature WS8.100 are $1250/pair. 2 ohm @ 150W rms and have excellent specs as a mid bass in a 3 way.

6. Back To Top    #6

I know this thread is a couple months old but I'm also considering some 8 inch midbass, of the few that were mentioned has anyone got any experience of using them and how they compare against each other?

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a pair of ZR800 for sale, if interested!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk