Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Tuning Help - Helix P6 (AutoEQ/REW), Properly Setting Gain/Output Before Tune

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2021 Camaro 2SS

Re: Newbie Tuning Help - Helix P6 (AutoEQ/REW), Properly Setting Gain/Output Before T

As the P-SIX is a DSP Amplifier and there are no gain pots, would the process be the same except using the channel output level instead of gain pots? That is, would you just increase/decrease the channel output level for each amplified channel until there is no noise from the corresponding speaker?

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Newbie Tuning Help - Helix P6 (AutoEQ/REW), Properly Setting Gain/Output Before T

That would work and is what I would do. Cutaway just helped me do the method I posted above this weekend and he really liked it.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #13

I haven't toyed with the P6 but the M4DSP doesn't have a physical gain control either. It's done in the software but not by adding gain to the channels via the slider. It's a setting and gave the choice of 2v, 4v, and I think 5v too. I would think the P6 has something similar.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2021 Camaro 2SS

The P-SIX does have an input gain pot but that's just to match to the source (NavTV Zen in my case which has a max RMS output of 2V) and you set that for each input set.

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Sorry, I could have been clearer on that. When setting gains, you aren’t playing anything. You are just listening (via your ears) to the “static” that gets created if you turn up the gains too much. This is what you are trying to minimize.
    Setting gains this way is new to me as well. So are you saying any static is too much? In other words increase until you here static then back it down a bit? Should this be done at max HU volume before HU clipping?

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Eatmore Bacon View Post
    Setting gains this way is new to me as well. So are you saying any static is too much? In other words increase until you here static then back it down a bit? Should this be done at max HU volume before HU clipping?
    Yes to all.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Best bet is to put way all of those "fancy" tools for gain setting.

Set your gains on the helix to 0db in the software. Make sure input sensitivity for each channel is set appropriately on the helix. You want the dsp putting out as much as it can to your amps to have as low of gain on them as possible (this reduces potential noise issues).
    Set basic time distances (or use Helix's built in T/A stuff).

Then use your microphone to set appropriate gains.

-Pull up REW and input the audiofrog house curve (you can generate this using Justin Zazzi's tuning companion found on this site in a sticky in the tuning session)

-Set crossovers appropriately for each speaker to not break them. You can adjust and fine tune this later, but it should be semi-close to what you will be using.

-Edit** While nothing is playing, turn up amp gains that have physical gain knobs to max level before noise is too much in system. For amps with dsp/digitally controlled gains, do the same using their controls in the software

-Mute right side and sub and just leave left side on. Start REW RTA with audiofrog curve in the background (the selected response will always be in the background of the RTA). Adjust audiofrog curve level to be at lowest speaker level (since you already maxed out each gain for minimal noise).

-Turn down amp gain(s) (since you already maxed out each gain for minimal noise you don't want to increase anymore) until the curve and the level of each speaker are at the same level as each other. Set gains to lowest speaker level, as in, if mid is much lower than tweeter, set levels based on mid's max level before noise in the system is too much.

-Now mute left side and do the same for right side, if only one gain knob for two speakers, make sure they are close, you can fine tune in the dsp.

-Now turn on both sides and subs and set sub level.

Now you have appropriate gains set and are halfway to being done with tuning. Fine tune some crossovers and then run Auto EQ.
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^
    i have always done the “ old school method of scopeing/DD+1 following thru the Analog signal chain checking for clipping but this now only needs to be done at the Analog inputs of your DSP.

i got to sit back and Armchair Quarterback JDunk54nl perform the process he explained above and it yeilded fantastic results. I immediately went home followed his procedure with the same success and looked at all my analog tools to detect clipping and realized I don’t need any of them anymore😭😭😭

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Well, kee those tools for measuring everything pre amplifier. You don't want anything clipping (HU, dsp, etc) because that will just cause distortion the rest of the way through the chain.

So find max clean outputs of all the stuff before amps using oscope, dd1, etc and 0db test tones (making sure to get factory HU, highest output if it has factory eq.) Just not the right tools for amp gain settings.

9. Back To Top    #19

Hello, Should I be playing pink noise for this part of the process??

-Mute right side and sub and just leave left side on. Start REW RTA with audiofrog curve in the background (the selected response will always be in the background of the RTA). Adjust audiofrog curve level to be at lowest speaker level (since you already maxed out each gain for minimal noise).

-Turn down amp gain(s) (since you already maxed out each gain for minimal noise you don't want to increase anymore) until the curve and the level of each speaker are at the same level as each other. Set gains to lowest speaker level, as in, if mid is much lower than tweeter, set levels based on mid's max level before noise in the system is too much.

-Now mute left side and do the same for right side, if only one gain knob for two speakers, make sure they are close, you can fine tune in the dsp.

-Now turn on both sides and subs and set sub level.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Yes. Pink periodic noise