Thread: 2012 Ford Flex... Biggest Bang For My Buck

1. Back To Top    #1

2012 Ford Flex... Biggest Bang For My Buck

I have gotten pretty close to finishing alot of systems over the many years I have been doing audio. But I never seem to completely finish without something happening, or just stopping, or whatever. So when I first got the Flex I told myself I would not do anything to it. And that actually lasted for a while. Then I was going to "just do a double din." And here we are. I recently pulled the 4200DVD out and put in a Pioneer P99. This is the 3rd one I have owned and keep coming back to them. I love it. For me its perfect... sleek, user friendly, and it auto tunes . The entire goal of this build is the most bang for the buck. The P99 was actually bought as a refurb for $500... so a great start for most "bang for the buck."
    I know what I want to see happen in the Flex... we will see how many times those plans change. I want to do a pair of Pioneer GM-D8604s. That gives me 100x8 for the front 3way. 4chs will go to midbass, 2chs go to midrange, and 2chs to tweeters. Then the sub will most likely get a GM-D8601. Amps will all go under the front seat or seats. I am hoping to be able to stack em under one front seat. If so I might consider a shallow sub under the passenger's seat. Not sure on the sub yet.
    I know I want 8s in the doors. The only limiting thing with that is the driver cannot be wider than 8.5" total. Then the midrange will go in the kicks. Once I move some wiring around I should have a good amount of space in there. Then tweeters in the A pillars. Im pretty anal about the drivers all matching... dont ask why... its just me. I wish I could get over it. Here's what Im thinking so far (subject to change multiple times and possibly come back to the same thing):

Dayton tweeters, possibly the mini AMTs
    Dayton RS100 in kicks
    Dayton RS225 in the doors, but I would have to cut the frame on the sides. Like a truncated frame.
    Dayton 12" HO DVC if I go with a sub in the rear

Anyway... Im sure that will change alot. Gonna focus on clean wiring and decent amount of deadening until I choose speakers.

Here's a few pics of the Flex...

2012 Ford Flex on 22s. With a system that will forever be pending.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Re: 2012 Ford Flex... Biggest Bang For My Buck

Clean looking whip and smexy HU. If you were going to run two way I would have possibly suggested a trio of Pioneer PRS-800D's ink keeping with the pio source unit.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    1993 Dodge Dakota, 2003 Subaru Outback

I really like the look of those cars. Looks like the start of a great system too! Good luck!
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

That's a nice ride ya got there! Looking forward to the progress.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Sir
    Vehicle
    VW Passat

Damn nice looking ride. I'm looking forward to progress

6. Back To Top    #6

So here's the locations I am working with:

You can see there's a decent amount of space in the kicks. I'm hoping to make a cardboard template tomorrow of the baffle. I'm hoping its completely flat and can be covered using the factory carpet. I have plenty of slack in the factory wiring to move that plug up. And want to secure the bundle of wiring as far toward the door opening as possible. There also seems to be a decent size cavity behind the metal... Not sure I'm gonna cut it. And hoping to get the mids a little on axis. I should see tomorrow how this will go.
    2012 Ford Flex on 22s. With a system that will forever be pending.

7. Back To Top    #7

I vote for cutting the kick metal, your car has no shortage of it. And welcome to the forum!