Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T shirt material for fiberglassing?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: T shirt material for fiberglassing?

Quote Originally Posted by DubScientist View Post
    That cabin mockup rig is hard core

Things will sound very different in a vehicle, but still, kudos!

Interested to see where this goes.
    As always, for sure. Cars are each also different. But-
    1) this was only to experiment to compare the feasibility of experiments and how that shifts image placement. A to B to C comparisons of fundamentals - plus-
    2) when it was all really set up, there were other analogs, floor carpet, center console, door and roof panels, played with some panels behind as well.

All these experiments were above dash.
    The DSP will handle tuning out the rest.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #12

Did you solve your fabric wrapping dilemma? Aside from the sagging that can happen another problem is unnatural or poor contoured shapes. In some cases a 2 part foam can yield fantastic results, then lay up your chop mat over the foam after shaping.

3. Back To Top    #13

I could have foam molded it but I'd have had adhesion concerns. Also - I've only bought that in 5 gallon quantity, i don't think they sell it in small single-project quantity.

I did it with cloth, I thought the epoxy resin I used would have bonded best - but this plastic is really tough to bond to, even roughed up with 40 grit. Even this way, I had some adhesion that I had to follow up in.

But the process wasn't much different than your foam thought-

I did the cloth stretch, and ended up with a bit of a cross-wrap around the front point tray caused the usual wrinkles and deviations from a pure stretch, but that was OK because that was just the basis for the shape.

The next step after the epoxy cured was to rough it up again, then use some tiger hair to build the shape out a little more - sculpting it like you'd do with foam. Then more detail with body filler - I bought some "high adhesion" filler because Bondo over epoxy and even over tiger hair can be an issue - so I also tried to do all my sculpting with the lower layers so the body filler layer is just for smoothing...

...but like every time you create a shape from scratch and have ANY sculpting, once you get your first coat of filler primer down, you see you are in for an endless round of perfecting the shape! The second pic has lighting to show the flaws.

With Xmas and my dad-less nephew buying his first house, I'm not too much further along, in fact I'm 3 months behind schedule -
    As usual for projects for myself instead of a customer!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #14

I hate that lol. spend hours getting the shape just right. put the primer down and see all kinds of lines you didn't see before. I am glad this doesn't only happen to me hahaha