Thread: Mid range in the doors

1. Back To Top    #1

Mid range in the doors

Going to try underseat mid basses, but are mid ranges in the middle / lower doors a bad idea?

Don’t have time to fab anything for the FaitalPro mids so wondering if the door is still ok for them.

Would be playing 200-2k but if I could remove the tweeters and run 200 and up would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Mid range in the doors

Do have a way to still aim/angle them towards the listening position(s)?
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not an expert, just sharing personal opinion. But one other thing to consider with underseat midbasses is that you may need to cross them lower. With mine, I don't think I liked anything higher than 180hz (24db LR). At present I've settled on 165hz. Of course a different car with different speakers can yield different results, but I just thought I'd mention it.

I'm using 5.5" mids down low in doors (factory location). So I have to deal with the issues of off-axis beaming, lower midrange nulls due to the center console and tweeters being far away from the mids (factory a-pillar locations). But with DSP, I'm able to make it work fairly well.

To your last comment about wanting to remove the tweets and run full-ranges, I think they'd absolutely have to be 100% on-axis. Treble response on a larger speaker will drop-off quickly off-axis. For a 200hz or lower crossover point, those full-ranges would likely need to be 4-5 inchers.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

4. Back To Top    #4

The FaitalPro’s are 3” from memory. Will try first with my 5” units and see how the under seats work.

Have some Dayton ND105’s in the loft I can try too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #5

The only real negative with door locations is the relative pathlength distances between your listening position and the two speakers.

Ideally, you want the distance from your nose (or choose any spot between your two ears ) to the left and right speakers to be equal. When it is (and assuming your speakers are decently detailed and crossovers don't allow the speaker to play higher than their beaming frequency), you'll have magnificent imaging where a three-dimensional stage opens up right in front of you, despite what your eyes are actually seeing.

With door speakers, your knee is practically touching the left speaker, while you can't even reach the right speaker with your arm extended. That's far from "equal distance", and it pulls your balance - and with it, the image - to that side.

The further forward from you that you push your speakers, the closer to "equal" the speakers become, even if you can't truly, fully get there in a car. This is why kickpanels were so popular for decades. And before that, compression driver horns (the actual driver at the throat of the horn is the sound source, and it's roughly where the kick panel is, when installed properly).

There's inherent challenges with those as well - easy to get the "rainbow" effect (a curved image), still a side bias, maybe a low image (that's Xover though, usually) etc. But it's better than the door locations, typically.

However, in today's world you might notice people mounting speakers in unequal distances up in sail panels and A-pillars. The pathlengths aren't far off what they would be in a door. We have DSP and tuning options that didn't even exist at any dollar point back in the '80's and '90's.

So ideally - yeah, try to make those left vs right pathlength distances as close to equal as possible. It'll make for less tuning work, usually.
    But if that's your chosen location - you could make it work, sure.