Thread: Please Fill Me In...From Where We Left Off...

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Fill Me In...From Where We Left Off...

It seems this forum is where all the cool kids have gone. I see a lot of screen names of the old heavy hitters. I have re-ignited the passion for car audio, more precisely have a vehicle that needs a system. More on that as I fill in the gaps.
    I was on Diyma maybe 10 or so years ago soaking up info from the more experienced members. Got distracted by other things but now I am back, ready to head down the slippery slope, down the rabbit hole. You know how it goes.
    Of course I have to be proactive, peruse the forums, search instead of asking to be spoon fed. But...
    If anybody cares to, I am looking for a shove in the right direction as far as DSP goes. Where are we at with that??? When I left, the masses were waiting impatiently for the MS-8. Lotta guys used the 701. Head units were PRS 880 , Alpine 9887. The P99 seemed to be a possible option as a processor. Mini DSP had a lot of clamor.
    As for me I ran Zapco DC amps. I still have them.
    So, what's the story now? Anything anybody cares to offer about the changes in the last 10 years and/or the state of car audio now, I'd love to hear it. Hopefully it won't be crickets. If I'm in the wrong place, please let me know...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please Fill Me In...From Where We Left Off...

Helix are kings of dsps, followed by zapco and mosconi, and a special mention for Dirac in the mini dsp 8to12dl

back down the rabbit hole we go! Enjoy!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Zapco DC amps still worthy? Wasn't there a changing of the guard at Zapco? Sounds like they got through it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

The older DC amps are still powerhouses with decent software, but the issue is finding a computer that can connect with them.

Arc is making good DSPs these days, along with the JL Audio TuN software. Those VXi amps seem to fly under the radar a bit. Pretty expensive, but not much more than the Helix are at now.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

5. Back To Top    #5

Any time you leave a scene for a while, it's good to re-assess. Most (really) of the brands that were on top a couple decades ago sold to the same conglomerates that feed Boss and Skar to the stack-em high and let 'em fly flea market sellers. Sad.

JL still makes good stuff (and good DSPs), same with Audiocontrol. RF makes good amps but not so much DSP, although still good for integration. Same with Kicker.
    All the above offer integrated amps with DSP built in, same with Zapco - who have excellent amps designed by Rob Zeff, and decently midgrade ones since he sold the company - but that slight degradation in quality beats the crap status of Soundstream and Hifonics new ownership.
    MiniDSP are sort of the opposite - great bang for the buck DSP, new integrated amp is a little mild depending on your power needs.

It's a good time to decide how much DSP you need - not just channels, but features.
    Do you just need time alignment, filters, and EQ? Most do that just fine.
    Do you compete and need all-pass filters or things you can't do with (or don't know) biquads? You might want more premium DSP.

Do you want the cost savings of an amp with DSP built in? The Helix ones are great bang for the buck. I'm not a fan of the huge cost for controllers that come free with everyone else, though.
    Where do you want your money to go?

Are you more comfortable hedging on your lack of current confidence in brands - or giving yourself future flexibility - by buying a separate DSP and amps rather than the JL VXi type route?

Ultimately, consider that whatever you buy today on the DSP side is going to be better than when you left off... and whatever you had back then for amps were likely better than most of today's offerings.
    That said - don't be afraid of today's class D amps. There's still some cheap, old class D amps that should be avoided, but there's some amazing compact high-sq options out there using newer tech. You might be mind-blown by the power to size for the quality of RF Power amps, or Helix, Arc - there's high-end class D full range today. That didn't really exist a decade or certain certainly two, ago.

Lots of questions to feel comfortable with BEFORE making purchase choices. Just spit-balling to better shape the questions. Leading with "what brands" - especially today - always is tough for me to see. Use it to whittle down your picks, not to prevent finding options.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6

Really appreciate the detailed reply. I have the cards are stacked against me being that my first project is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 2 door. I will go with what gear I have for now since I don't see this vehicle being a platform for a real sound quality install. What I may really need to consider is smaller amps since I don't have much room. Let's see if the bug bites and how far I go. Been there before and I know how it can go.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

The JL VXi amplifiers and the TuN software are a joy to work with and I would keep them near the top of the list if budget can afford it.

Aside from MiniDSP's DIRAC processor, Audison's BIT series seems to be the most innovative in terms of technology.
    However, JL's new MAX and TuN4 software could easily be a technology leader in the future.

Other than that, the market seems to be flooded with electronics that are frustratingly hard to use.
    (I also have a peculiar point of view on these things so .... there's that)
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

8. Back To Top    #8

I’m enjoying my Helix Match integrated amp and DSP. All run off the factory wiring including power.

Very small and good output - gets plenty loud but with great quality.

Definitely get what you pay for with class D - changed from a Pioneer micro amp which had hiss (same wiring) but none with the Match.

Match are cheaper than Helix main series but use the same DSP except with cheaper DACs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk