2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Un garage à la française

Better hurry up, before the locusts start falling from the sky

2. Back To Top    #42
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Not wrong there!!

It's annoying how long it's taking, I get why, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Ordered the feeder wire yesterday to run from the house, I'll rent a trencher and run that myself. A while off until I'll need to, but since the wire price goes up every time I look at it, figured I'll buy it now. $1,700 for 300' of 6/3 copper wire. Crazy.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

3. Back To Top    #43
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220414_190112898.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	594.2 KB 
ID:	17254

Finally, I have walls, well, sort of half walls at least. Block layers arrived today and got started, they've got a good chunk done today, at the rate they were working I figure in another 2-3 days they'll be done. So happy to finally see some real progress, feels like this has taken way too dang long.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #44
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Here locally OSB has dropped from $51.64 to $41.55 per sheet. I hope you have seen a decent drop around your area too.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

5. Back To Top    #45
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Here locally OSB has dropped from $51.64 to $41.55 per sheet. I hope you have seen a decent drop around your area too.
    Nice, looked on Lowes last night and the 7/16 OSB is right about that as well. The thicker 19/32 board is still hovering around $55, but not sure I need that.

The walls are coming along nicely, the back corners are at full height, standing at the top and looking down you can now really get a feel for how big it will be. I suspect by the end of this week the walls will be complete...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220416_235050380.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	367.0 KB 
ID:	17261

But.... always a but right? The block layers noticed last week, that the stupid lintels for the door and window were not delivered, they were ordered, just not delivered, gonna chase those up today. It's also supposed to f**king snow today, so likely nothing happening until tomorrow at least. I'm hoping it won't snow, the temperature is currently 40F and it's hailing, but as long as it warms up a little and is just rain showers today, I'll take it. Of course, typical Virginia weather, by Friday it is supposed to be 75F. So, fingers crossed just one bad weather day this week and it warming up the rest of the week means the walls get finished.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #46
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Nice, looked on Lowes last night and the 7/16 OSB is right about that as well. The thicker 19/32 board is still hovering around $55, but not sure I need that.
    You won't need any of the thicker OSB. All you need is the 7/16 for your roof. With concrete walls you'll need very little lumber anyways.
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

7. Back To Top    #47
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

That's what I was thinking, that the 7/16 should be good. I'm really hoping that the guys can get the walls up this week, the roof trusses are already here, so would be cool to then get those on next week and really see it start to take shape.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #48

7/16 is good unless they are doing 2' on center trusses. The you want at least 5/8 with clips or 3/4 t&g osb and I prefer the latter.

9. Back To Top    #49
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

He’s got 19 trusses and a 34’ length so looks like 24” OC.
    Is the 5/8 for snow load? All the stuff around here (eastern NC) is 7/16” sheathing with 24” OC trusses.
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

10. Back To Top    #50

Lifetime sag. Someone stepping on a roof is more than snow load in any one point. Rafters and ridge do most of the work for load to walls. Ice build up is a lot at the lower eave but non-heated and modern insulated structures don't suffer from those issues. Ever step on a 2' on center osb roof? Even with clips it's spongy. I would never do it. 5/8 t&g minimum.