Thread: Un garage à la française

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Un garage à la française

Oh. 650 for just a limb is high. Dang.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

That's to cut it down, then cut it into firewood sized logs, but yeah, I thought it was a lot. Unfortunately, I've got nothing to compare it to since none of the other places I called either called me back or showed up.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Seems like the perfect excuse to buy a chainsaw

Or, HD rents them.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    Seems like the perfect excuse to buy a chainsaw
    While I'll take any excuse to buy a power tool, I'm not sure this particular tree limb will be the one to start using a chainsaw on.

I want my garage built, but I also want to retain my limbs!!

Stupid snow yesterday, slowing progress again. I'm worried the longer things take, the more materials are going to cost. Thinking of just ordering all the material I can think of now, even if it sits in the yard a few weeks.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Don't you have a reciprocating saw? (sawzall) that you can buy a pruning blade for? Like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-1...ade/1000594963
    Start at the end and work your way toward the trunk. but i realize it may be too tall for whatever ladder you have....
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Ok I don't want it to look like I'm reply bombing your thread but I have an update.
    I had posted earlier about 7/16 OSB being $51.64/sht and it still is here locally. HOWEVER you can buy "Solarbord" which is 7/16" OSB with a silver radiant barrier attached to it. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Solarbord-S...4-x-8/50432994 As of this writing that was $32.55/sht. I used this in my building and it helps to cut down radiant heat coming through in the summer time. Since it has the radiant barrier on it it's now a "product" and not a commodity like regular OSB is. It shouldn't fluctuate so wildly with the market. I used it on all sidewalls and roof. The silver side goes to the inside.
    Hope that helps.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

7. Back To Top    #37
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Don't you have a reciprocating saw?
    Nope, no sawzall here, it might well be too high to start. I'll just have to suck up the $650 this time, I did have a guy come out a couple weeks ago who cuts wood in the area, he took one look and said "nope, that will need the pro's" so at least I know it is not an easy job!! At least I should get a decent amount of firewood from it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Ok I don't want it to look like I'm reply bombing your thread but I have an update.
    I had posted earlier about 7/16 OSB being $51.64/sht and it still is here locally. HOWEVER you can buy "Solarbord" which is 7/16" OSB with a silver radiant barrier attached to it. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Solarbord-S...4-x-8/50432994 As of this writing that was $32.55/sht. I used this in my building and it helps to cut down radiant heat coming through in the summer time. Since it has the radiant barrier on it it's now a "product" and not a commodity like regular OSB is. It shouldn't fluctuate so wildly with the market. I used it on all sidewalls and roof. The silver side goes to the inside.
    Hope that helps.
    Thanks, that's awesome, the radiant barrier would be really awesome as well to help cut down on the heat. One small problem though, when I click on the link "This item is unavailable. Here are some similar items" I did also check this one https://www.lowes.com/pd/Solarbord-S...x-8/1000048625 but that is also showing as out of stock. None showing available at Home Depot either, maybe I'll get lucky and some will come in. I think I need 40 or so sheets, so saving $15-$20 on that over OSB adds up to a pretty big saving.

Hoping to talk to the main contractor I have been working with this week and get a shopping list, off the top of my head I know I need:
    OSB
    Roof shingles
    Roof felt
    Garage door
    Entry door
    Window
    Framing for those 3 things
    Chimney
    Electrical wire (50amp direct burial from the house to the garage, as well as wire for outlets, lights)
    Sub panel
    Direct burial cat6 network cable.

Likely things I am forgetting, but I think that gets me a roof, doors and electric!! At that point, it'll just be nice things like a security camera (although I already have some on the house, that anyone who comes from the front of the yard would go past on the way to the garage. shelving, work benches etc.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #38
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Limb is down and chopped up into some firewood for me, as well as some larger log pieces that I am hoping to use as stools to sit around a fire pit.

Block and other material is scheduled for delivery this week, but it keeps getting bumped as they apparently have no drivers.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #39

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    I'll probably pick one up at some point to keep a stash of firewood, but I'm not getting one to try and get this limb down.
    If you don't intend to use a chainsaw a lot, Dewalt makes a 16 inch 60 volt chainsaw that works really well.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Finally!! Got some block delivered, here's hoping to see some speedy progress now with the weather getting warmer and materials here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220331_131138135.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	655.9 KB 
ID:	17212
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix