Re: Un garage à la française

Ouch. Just...ouch!
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Yeah.... Material cost is getting frigging stupid.

Hoping the block for the walls gets delivered sometime this week, then the walls can start going up.

I'm also trying to find someone to cut the large oak limb down. One guy said he'd come last week, never showed up, called another and left a message, didn't return my call, a 3rd was supposed to come look at it Saturday lunchtime, said they'd call me if something came up. They never showed up and never called either.

Between the crazy cost of materials and contractors laziness, it's infuriating.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Eric

Man that is frustrating when contractors don't follow through, hate it for you!

You mentioned a wood stove, have you picked one out yet? I'm going to be putting something like this into my shop...

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Not picked out a wood stove yet, that thing is pretty cool looking and I can imagine will heat up an area pretty quickly with the fan. I'll definitely look into that, I had primarily just been looking on Craigslist for something, but I also like the idea of a somewhat DIY wood stove.

Someone supposed to be coming here between 4-5pm today to look at this one tree limb, I'm not holding my breath.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

What about a mini-split? That way you get heat and AC.
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

It’s a shame you’re so far away from me. I got a ladder & I got a chainsaw. How hard can it be?

7. Back To Top    #27

I would just give you a US Stoves 1537 in good used condition. I guess they went for about $3000 new. One of my customers gave it to me. It's good enough to heat my big inefficient 1825 built house. I had it tied in to my heating system and if it stayed above 40° or so the furnace didn't even kick on. I just got sick of the firewood situation. Even though I got wood for free ( my step dad owns a large tree service and before you ask he won't drive that far to take down 1 tree!) it wasn't worth the savings to me. Sure I save a couple hundred for the couple cold months but that didn't outweigh the inconvenience.

If I went down to yours or Jason's get together's I could bring my truck.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    What about a mini-split? That way you get heat and AC.
    I thought about that, but for now not going to worry too much with AC. I spoke to someone who has AC in their garage and they said it was not worth it. Eventually, I might add something, but at least initially it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
    It’s a shame you’re so far away from me. I got a ladder & I got a chainsaw. How hard can it be?
    Well, it's 10' or more off the ground and about the size of a small tree on the side of a large tree. If you look at post #3, the picture from the house looking down towards the spray painted shape, it's the huge branch poking out to the left. Not that it matters, as you said, it's a bit far of a drive (I've got a ladder, just no chain saw!).

The guy showed up yesterday, $650 (ouch) to cut it down and cut it into log size. Quite a bit more than I was expecting to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    I would just give you a US Stoves 1537 in good used condition. I guess they went for about $3000 new. One of my customers gave it to me. It's good enough to heat my big inefficient 1825 built house. I had it tied in to my heating system and if it stayed above 40° or so the furnace didn't even kick on. I just got sick of the firewood situation. Even though I got wood for free ( my step dad owns a large tree service and before you ask he won't drive that far to take down 1 tree!) it wasn't worth the savings to me. Sure I save a couple hundred for the couple cold months but that didn't outweigh the inconvenience.

If I went down to yours or Jason's get together's I could bring my truck.
    No idea if that will work out or not, but wanted to say thank you for at least even considering it.
    Last edited by naiku; 03-10-2022 at 05:32 PM.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Time to buy a chainsaw
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

I'll probably pick one up at some point to keep a stash of firewood, but I'm not getting one to try and get this limb down.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix