Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Un garage à la française

1. Back To Top    #121
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Re: Un garage à la française

A little update... got the walk in door installed, window installed (hoping to get the trim on this weekend) most exciting of all though.... the garage door gets installed Monday! I am also hoping to pick up a wood stove Saturday, so all being well, by Monday afternoon it should look a whole lot more like a garage.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Ian (no, not me throwing a tantrum, the actual hurricane) I noticed a good bit of water coming through the wall on the right as you face the garage. Looking closely, it pretty much followed the grade and was seeping through right above where I had sealed it below grade. Dug a little trench out on the side there and plan to seal it about another foot or so higher than it is, additionally going to run gutter down both sides to stop water just dripping off the edge of the roof and splashing/soaking that side.

The guys came yesterday and did the final grading, so I can start to think about grass seed. Might be too late to seed it now though, we have had a couple frosts already here. I read about dormant seeding, so may try that with some cheap seed to maybe get a head start on spring and hopefully not end up with too much of a swamp if we get a lot of snow/rain over winter.

After that I just need to install siding, soffit and paint. I think. I hope!!
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #122
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

I have a garage door!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221024_153018.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	18046

The difference between a new belt drive motor and the approximately 12 year old chain driven ones on the house is crazy. Might have to look into swapping the ones on the house at some point.

Been painting the siding panels over the weekend, which turned out to be more of a headache than it should...
    Went to Lowes with color name and brand to match the house.
    They no longer carry that brand.
    Thankfully, they can mix it though.
    Get a gallon, go home, manage to paint 8 out of 10 panels.
    Go back to Lowes the next day to get more, they are out of the base and have no idea when they are getting more. They are also out of the base of the next 2 levels of paint (basic, better, best kind of thing).
    The employee was really cool though, mixed me a batch in the only base they had left which was basically the top of the line and sold it to me for the same price as the lower one I had.
    Get home start spraying, hmm this looks a little light, but typically paint will dry a bit darker.
    Nope. Despite the codes on the lid being exactly the same, it's definitely lighter.
    Get 8 painted and run out of paint.

Now I have to go get another gallon and hope that it matches this slightly lighter shade and I can get all 10 of the dang things painted.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

3. Back To Top    #123
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    I have a garage door!!
    The difference between a new belt drive motor and the approximately 12 year old chain driven ones on the house is crazy.
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

4. Back To Top    #124
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

That looks excellent Ian.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

5. Back To Top    #125
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

I have heat!

Name:	20221025_201950.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	18047

Yes, I do plan to relocate that wire running behind it.

I'm sure until I get the ceiling enclosed I will lose a ton through the roof, but at least it is something. Kind of funny really, I like to see the open roof trusses, just reminds me of an old barn, so will be sad when they eventually get covered.

Final inspection this morning, failed as I don't have the siding yet installed. But, everything else looks good. They said get the siding up and they will basically just do a drive by to pass it.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #126
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Final inspection passed, woohoo!!

Now I have to go get another gallon and hope that it matches this slightly lighter shade and I can get all 10 of the dang things painted.
    Siding paint saga continues, I went back to Lowes, they had none. So, I currently have 2 panels of siding much darker than the rest. Put those on the back, painting them will be easy, no need even for a ladder, just have to wait for Lowes to get any paint.

Need to get the ceiling closed in, soffit and some gutter installed. That's it. Been using it a bunch though, moved my office down there (which confirmed, I need the ceiling enclosed and some insulation) and swapped the rear end on the 67 Mustang. It's been great having a ton of room to work. Got a TV up on the wall, little fridge set up etc.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #127
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Now you have a place to go when your wife gets pissed at you. Looks great Ian.

8. Back To Top    #128
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Mancave-FTMFW!

9. Back To Top    #129
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Started prep for the drywall to go up this past weekend, first installed these annoying foam baffles:

Name:	20221121_105524.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	18095

Annoying, because they are made out of the same thing as egg cartons, but thinner. Look at them wrong and they split, the nails coming through from the shingles, they snag on those and so on.

Once I got those up, had to figure out amounting solution for the drywall at the ends as there is no truss to screw the drywall to. Thankfully, I had enough spare 2x4 and 2x6 that I was able to cut a bunch of short pieces that were screwed to the top plate and the last truss:

Name:	20221121_105542.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	18097

Also, a slightly annoying job as there was no spot I could position the ladder to screw down both sides at once. So, a constant up and down and reposition of the ladder to get them up. But, with that done, I am finally about ready to put this up:

Name:	20221121_105506.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	18096

Going to see about renting a drywall lift this weekend and knock it out. The idea of installing about 1,000 screws (depending what you read, a 4x8 sheet of drywall needs anywhere from 28 - 36 screws) does not sound appealing, but no other options!
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

10. Back To Top    #130
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Going to see about renting a drywall lift this weekend and knock it out. The idea of installing about 1,000 screws (depending what you read, a 4x8 sheet of drywall needs anywhere from 28 - 36 screws) does not sound appealing, but no other options!
    Worst case you can buy one for $259 https://www.harborfreight.com/drywal...ist-69377.html

Then sell it on craigslist for $150

Edit: It's actually on Black Friday sale for $239 until Wednesday.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma