Thread: Un garage à la française

1. Back To Top    #101
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Re: Un garage à la française

I got these https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com...SABEgJ3yPD_BwE
    You can daisy chain them from one outlet box without running more circuit wires.

The ones that Al linked do the same thing. Looks like the difference is the Satco have a hazy cover instead of clear.

I have doubled the light that I started with. I have one of these strips with a plug in pig tail that I use as a task light when i'm under the hood of the car.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

2. Back To Top    #102
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Yeah, one annoying thing about the Hykolity lights is the clear lens, which doesn't diffuse the individual LEDs and can seem kinda harsh. The few lights I actually use are wrapped in white diffuser material.

3. Back To Top    #103
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Home Depot are on it! They sent me an email about an hour ago, letting me know an inspection of the garage was scheduled, for the 16th.

This, they informed me at about 8pm on the 17th ����
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #104
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Home Depot are on it! They sent me an email about an hour ago, letting me know an inspection of the garage was scheduled, for the 16th.

This, they informed me at about 8pm on the 17th ����
    They must be using Internet Explorer
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

5. Back To Top    #105
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Garage door scheduled for Oct 19th, sucks having to wait that long, but not a whole lot I can do about it.

Ordered 10 of those lights similar to what had been posted earlier, figure that should be more than enough light. I'll probably split them into 2 groups of 5 or something, so I don't need to have all 10 on if not needed.

Gonna start measuring how much conduit I need later for running electric along the walls, kind of wondering if I can use the THHN wire I have to wire up the outlets, but I think it is going to be overkill and a pain to use in wall boxes (it's 6 AWG).
    Last edited by naiku; 08-22-2022 at 03:11 PM.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #106
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Picked up everything I (think I) need to get the electrical all hooked up. Got the sub panel mounted on the wall today, trying to figure out where makes most sense to install all the outlets.

Decided to use Wago 221 connectors instead of wire nuts, I'm sure wire nuts would be fine, I just don't care for them. Don't ask why, no rational explanation! If I run out of the Wago connectors I'll use wire nuts on remaining.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #107
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Wago is French for "wire condom"

Sooo...are you surface mounting the electrical, or burying it in the walls. I surface-mounted all mine with plastic conduit

8. Back To Top    #108
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Wago is French for "wire condom"
    No "fil de préservatif" here!

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Sooo...are you surface mounting the electrical, or burying it in the walls. I surface-mounted all mine with plastic conduit
    Surface mount, at this time it would be impossible to bury it in the walls. I was going to use THHN and EMT conduit, but spoke to a home inspector who said just Romex secured to the walls is all I need. Which, is part of why I am trying to put a good bit of thought into where I mount things. I have I think 5 x dual gang outlet boxes, 2 x single gang and a pair of light switches. Going to wire 5 lights to a switch and split the outlets into 2 circuits, the single gang boxes are for a GFCI on each circuit, going to mount one dual gang in the trusses for a router and garage door opener, then split the others down each side.

Have to figure out a way as well to stop my dang drill bit jumping. Installed the box for the light switches, have it level, mark and drill the first hole, start the second and the bit jumps just slightly meaning the box is no longer level.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #109
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Got most of the electrical run, lights mounted (need to adjust some, they're not quite straight). All the outlets are on the wall and wired up, just ran out of wire on the last run from switch to lights and switch to sub panel.

Gotta order a little more wire, get some conduit to put the main feed from the house into and can then get the permit/inspection sorted.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

10. Back To Top    #110
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Electrical all done, got the last piece into the sub panel in the house this afternoon. That sucked way more than I was expecting... Picked up a fish tape from Harbor Freight, thinking straight shot above the dry wall, but the dang thing just kept coiling up on itself.

Anyway, that's done, got some dry wall repairs to do in the house garage now, but that's just patching the holes I cut for running wire.

Gotta connect the feed wire up at both ends, but need to get enough bravado to strip the outer jacket without damaging the inner. Not a problem on something like 12/2 but on 6/3 it's a little tougher to do.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix