Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Un garage à la française

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Un garage à la française

Thought it might be cool to post a build log of my garage here, it might not be as detailed a log as Al's (I'll likely forget to take pictures most of the time), but since one day I'll likely host a meet in the garage, it fits nicely here. If nothing else, it will be neat for me to go back and look through the pictures. So, without further ado, here are the plans:

It's going to be 32x34, with a 16x32 apron, 10' tall, with an attic space in the roof. Something I asked for was a wood stove, so I can keep warm if I am working on something in the winter. Was not really that worried about having A/C installed, I may come to regret that in Virginia humid summers. But, if needed I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The back will be almost completely below grade, with the sides about half below (I'll take a picture of the yard at some point to show where it is going). There will be an access door in the attic so that I can get up there to store crap, but also as an emergency exit in case the wood stove causes a fire and I cannot get out the front.

As for the interior, no real plans yet. The primary use is going to be a workshop for classic cars.... once it is built my father in law has a 71 Monte Carlo that will be going in there for me to work on, when that leaves, my middle son has a 65 Mustang that will go in and eventually I plan to get myself an old truck that will be in there. I'm not a mechanic, just like to tinker around (the Monte Carlo essentially just needs the interior, wiring, bumpers etc and once the Mustang goes in all the work that is out of my league will be complete), so there are not plans for a lift. I'll likely just pick up a QuickJack and use that if I need to work on suspension, brakes, oil changes and such. I do plan to set up one area as a sort of hang out space for my kids, nothing much, just a TV, sofa, that sort of deal. While it is big enough for more than 1 vehicle to be in there at a time, I only plan to keep 1 in there so I have plenty of room around it. One thing I hate about my current garage is with both cars in there, toolboxes, bikes and everything, there is never any actual room to work comfortably. So, trying to avoid that with this one.

Finally got the permit approved this week, been waiting since the middle of September. I'm hoping this means that work can start soon.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Un garage à la française

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Un garage à la française
    I KNEW IT!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Article-11-header.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	16498

I can't wait to see where you're able to take this new project

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Got this roughly staked out today, really gives a good perspective on the size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211120_104611.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	16500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211120_110938.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	16501

The smaller tree to the front left is getting taken down (its rotten) and then a bunch of branches are getting trimmed from the 2 big oak trees.

Tuesday afternoon the guy who will be excavating is coming out to take a look, hopefully he'll be able to start digging before Thanksgiving, but we'll see.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Not so much a garage update, but we had a concrete pad poured along the back of the house earlier this year and finally picked up a hot tub to go out there. Now, I really need to hurry up and get the garage built so I can get the electrician to hook up the hot tub.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

The contractor we planned to use to excavate ended up getting COVID and has to quarantine until the end of the year, which is likely putting a delay on anything happening. Have another guy coming out today to take a look, hoping to see some action before the end of the year, but doubtful at this point.

Will be nice to have something more than just a spray painted odd sized tennis court in the back yard.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Excavation started last week.

Had hoped to get the footers excavated this week, then get the concrete poured for those, but it bucketed with rain Saturday night turning it into a muddy swamp, then last night and into this morning we got about 6 or so inches of snow. Annoyingly, it'll be a few days now until anything gets going again.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

Man, I'd LOVE to have a nice shop/garage like this myself. Its definitely on my list of things to do at some point in my life - hopefully sooner than later

I know its faux pas to talk financials, but I'd love to know what something like this costs.

Exciting project!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chris12 View Post
    I know its faux pas to talk financials, but I'd love to know what something like this costs.
    I'll tell you when it is finished!! Hopefully, it does not end up over budget.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

I just did a driveway and two car garage. Stick kit they call it. Comes with garage doors, all wood, vinyl siding, shingles, buried electrical line, inside and outside lighting. Upgraded to 2x6 instead of 2x4. 185 yards of concrete. $60,000. Took about two months. This is for future sports car and or muscle car with all out audio system of course

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

A little more progress, ready for concrete to be poured for footings...

But, snowstorm forecast Sunday, which likely since I want to get this built means we'll get all the snow.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix