Thread: Mono mid bass?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mono mid bass?

Read up that most music below 250Hz is mixed in mono, so if running midbass alone should these also be run in mono?

I have 1 channel going spare on my amp so wondered if I built a little box and put a small midbass in it or wired my doors in series can I run these successfully in mono if kept under 250Hz?

Obviously would have to run mids above this frequency in stereo

My sub is run in mono and crossed at 100Hz fine (using ErinH method to increase midbass by crossing the sub higher).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mono mid bass?

Just IMO, but I wouldn't go mono that high with midbass. Tom and snare drums are usually mixed stereo and much of their body is in that 100hz-250hz range. A good example of this is the Swing Kids movie version of Sing Sing Sing. The floor tom is panned pretty far right and you can definitely hear/feel the midbass frequencies coming from that side
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQy...katcarsonbelle
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the corsa I cross over my midbass at 160 (for a few reasons) and don’t get any reduced stereo effect and excellent stereo with panned drums on the likes of Phil Collins tracks for example

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I wouldn't unless you're just using a midbass to bridge a small gap between the sub and a midrange that can play down into the 100's.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

5. Back To Top    #5

May try it then - only got 1 spare channel so might test it out.

6. Back To Top    #6

If there’s two drivers I would always run different delays otherwise they will always be out of time at any given freq, for my two I should have said they are mono, but timed differently off two channels of dsp

if I had one channel left over I would do a front sub if anything I reckon

7. Back To Top    #7

Of course - still need to TA them even if mono.

Penny has finally dropped

8. Back To Top    #8

I find that the difference between a great car and really great car is in the management of the crossover region, where the rolloff is still a major contributor of the overall sound of the system. In other words, 250Hz is 250 Hz, but not like it's a brick wall. with your standard 12 dB crossover, it's only 12 dB down at 500 Hz which is just 10 clicks of a typical volume knob. I expect you to have tons of stereo material bleed through the midbass unless you have super low crossover points and steep filters.