Thread: REW/MiniDSP Tuning Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

REW/MiniDSP Tuning Questions

I've downloaded Zazzi's tuning companion spreadsheet and it's very cool. I'm wanting to use it with my MiniDSP 2x4 in the house. My setup has a powered Klipsch subwoofer for the lows and then it runs to a receiver/amplifier to a pair of 2 way speakers. I've got the Dayton UMM6 so I can measure things. Would I use the Zazzi tool in a 2 way configuration and set the subs as normal and skip the tweeters? Is there a particular curve that's better in the home vs the car? I'm also a bit fuzzy on the biquads-does it somehow use the curve to get all the frequencies within the limitations of the 6 bands? Thanks!

Mark
    2019 Micro Blue Pearl Kia Stinger GT1 AWD-OEM Harmon Kardon System
    www.markfenskephoto.com

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: REW/MiniDSP Tuning Questions

Quote Originally Posted by mfenske View Post
    Would I use the Zazzi tool in a 2 way configuration and set the subs as normal and skip the tweeters?
    Yep, that'll work!

Is there a particular curve that's better in the home vs the car?
    You might find that a less dramatic bass boost will work well in a home, and you might not need the treble roll-off that is also common to see in cars. The Jazzi and Andy curves might be a good place to start. You can also make a custom curve within the spreadsheet too.

I'm also a bit fuzzy on the biquads-does it somehow use the curve to get all the frequencies within the limitations of the 6 bands? Thanks!
    Mark
    Do you mean the biquads for the Minidsp? The ones in step 5 on the page below?
    https://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew

The biquads are a series of numbers that describes how the parametric EQ filters work. It's kinda like the source code for a computer program that is hard to read. Exporting them from REW and importing them into the MiniDSP software is a fast/simple way to get it done. You can get the same results by typing in the filter settings manually but it's just more clicking and typing.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm listening to the Zazzi curve right now with 10-70 hz for the subs (later modified in the MiniDSP to 80) and the fullranges from 70 up...VERY happy with how it sounds!
    www.markfenskephoto.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Yay!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Justin's curve is probably one of my favorites. I have slightly modified this one to my own taste but out of all the curves it is one of the best I have tried. My wife also likes this one the best out of all the ones I have forced her to try

It seems like someone (cough cough Justin cough cough) was thinking about how we hear and what frequencies our ears are most and least sensitive too.

2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually, this brings up another question for me. Is it better (or advisable) to put the overall curve on the input parametric EQ or use the frequency specific biquads on each channel?
    www.markfenskephoto.com

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

If you do not need to use the input eq to correct the input signal, you could tune all of your speakers for a flat response within their passband, and then just change the input eq to quickly change house curves. This would then be acting like a global eq so it would keep phase and everything working like original.

but this is one of those half a dozen in one hand 6 in the other type questions. Audibility wise, it will (should at least) make zero difference as long as you don't clip anything by boosting the input eq side.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    If you do not need to use the input eq to correct the input signal, you could tune all of your speakers for a flat response within their passband, and then just change the input eq to quickly change house curves. This would then be acting like a global eq so it would keep phase and everything working like original.

but this is one of those half a dozen in one hand 6 in the other type questions. Audibility wise, it will (should at least) make zero difference as long as you don't clip anything by boosting the input eq side.
    I was looking at it that way too-plus it still gives me the option to tweak the individual outputs. Thanks for the assist!
    www.markfenskephoto.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Using input eq (or some other global option) is my favorite because it is very easy to try different house curves, or evolve your own as you go!
    Do it for them.