Thread: JL Audio Slash RIPS Question

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Vehicle
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is

JL Audio Slash RIPS Question

Fellas. So I spent the weekend playing my gear for long periods of time (and not playing at times) to test the heat output of my JL Audio Slash V1 500/5s. I had mentioned that I was worried about the heat that they put off as not being right. But after playing them for 4 hours plus, and not playing them (but having them powered on) for a couple of hours, perhaps that's just how the RIPS operates when regulating the output on these things. Playing music hard, soft, or no volume at all makes zero difference in the temps of these amps. At no time did I get a shut down from overheating throughout many hours of continuous play. I used an IR gun on it to measure temps and the amps were uniform at ~ 140f. 143f was max temp measured. Too hot to touch for longer than 3 or 4 seconds. They both reach this temperature regardless of output volume. Just being on gets them to this temp.

I have them mounted on carpet currently, and relatively close together. First thing I am going to do is space them off the carpet using 1/2" risers. I'll check temps after that. If them come down even 10-15 degrees I'd be happy with that. If they don't, then I'll have to devise some sort of fan solution I suppose which is a last option as it would require modifications to the rack design. I don't mind them running warm (I've read, and some of you have said they do run on the hotter side). But I worry about them at very near egg frying temps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210902_125723.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	697.7 KB 
ID:	16430

So, anyone familiar, is this just the way that these amps operate? I was worried I had somehow screwed up the install but the grounds are solid, not being overdriven, and they never shut off. So I'm thinking all is good and I just need to take some counter measures. Thanks for any input. BTW, the 1000/1 barely gets warm but also has no load on it yet. But it's a class D amp so I'd expect it to run cooler. Just mentioning it as an added data point.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: JL Audio Slash RIPS Question

Quote Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
    I used an IR gun on it to measure temps and the amps were uniform at ~ 140f. 143f was max temp measured. Too hot to touch for longer than 3 or 4 seconds. They both reach this temperature regardless of output volume. Just being on gets them to this temp.
    I cannot speak for the Slash amplifiers, but 140F (or ~60C) is common for the amplifiers I've been working with at the office.

This doesn't seem like a problem to me?

I really like how you made effort to keep the black heatsink fins exposed to air. If you want to improve the air circulation then spacing the surfaces is a good idea. If it fits into the theme, tilting them a little bit can help create a chimney where air can travel vertically which might improve passive convection cooling further.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Vehicle
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    I cannot speak for the Slash amplifiers, but 140F (or ~60C) is common for the amplifiers I've been working with at the office.

This doesn't seem like a problem to me?

I really like how you made effort to keep the black heatsink fins exposed to air. If you want to improve the air circulation then spacing the surfaces is a good idea. If it fits into the theme, tilting them a little bit can help create a chimney where air can travel vertically which might improve passive convection cooling further.
    Thank you Justin. After playing so long without an issue, and having the same heat output playing nothing but still on, I thought this had to just be the amp's power supplies doing their thing. This is my first experience with these particular amps and so was looking to confirm normal operation.

Will space them 1/2" off the carpet and see if any improvement. They are tilted slightly @ 11 degrees upward. Not much I know, but something. As a last resort I might add fans to a beauty board or something on the bottom floor to circulate air up behind the amps. To be really effective would take some sort of shrouding to direct air but I'll take it one step at a time.

Upon further reading of the manual it seems I did not make the best choice when choosing amps for this setup. The outputs for these are designed for very specific use cases it seems. IE: 2 way active or front/rear stereo where the rear gets far less power than the fronts. I've been trying to run the pair of them "creatively" (read ignorantly) in a 10 channel active setup. Live and learn I suppose.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram single cab

You should be able to use any amp any way you choose without issue, so long as the minimum impedance is observed, so I don't think how you're using them is causing any problems. I've read a lot of posts in the past about these Slash amps (at least the A/B amps) running fairly hot. I guess if they aren't shutting down because of thermal overload they should be ok.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

My alpine pdx second gen amps run about 140 as well, no matter output volume. I cranked it for a while and measured temps and still about 140 compared to just being on as well. Mine are behind the rear seats in a crew cab with very little extra space and I was worried that was causing them to be too hot. But even with the seat folded forward they were the same temp. I figured this was normal after that so gave up caring about the temps.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Vehicle
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is

Quote Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
    You should be able to use any amp any way you choose without issue, so long as the minimum impedance is observed, so I don't think how you're using them is causing any problems. I've read a lot of posts in the past about these Slash amps (at least the A/B amps) running fairly hot. I guess if they aren't shutting down because of thermal overload they should be ok.
    Oh for sure, but the 500/5 has caveats in that the 5th channel is intended to drive a sub of some sort. Even if you defeat the LP filter it is internally limited to <500hz. I was planning on using that channel on each amp to drive my rear door woofers but it's 250w so kind of wasted power. Had I planned better maybe I should have driven the front door woofers with that channel? Each set of channels has wildly different power delivery making things a bit more interesting. Front = 100w RMS, Rear = 25w RMS, and 5th channel 250w RMS (limited to <500hz).

I'm sure this is elementary to most here, but this is the most complex system I've ever installed. I'm used to a fairly traditional 4 channel amp pushing front 2 way passive components and rear coax speakers paired with a mono sub amp. No DSP. So I'm learning as I go. It's fun though and fortunately this site has a wealth of information and the crew here, though small, is willing to share their knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    My alpine pdx second gen amps run about 140 as well, no matter output volume. I cranked it for a while and measured temps and still about 140 compared to just being on as well. Mine are behind the rear seats in a crew cab with very little extra space and I was worried that was causing them to be too hot. But even with the seat folded forward they were the same temp. I figured this was normal after that so gave up caring about the temps.
    Awesome. Thanks for the data point. Feeling much better about the temps. I'll just come up with something to bring them down a little more for comfort.