Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $2500 Full SQ System Suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

$2500 Full SQ System Suggestions

I'm planning a system, and wanted to see what brilliant ideas/systems y'all could come up with!
    I've had a few specific questions before, but wanted to get a big picture look with the expertise available here.

- - - - - Parameters - - - - -
    - Keeping stock radio, non JBL, 2021 Toyota Tacoma 4dr
    - Stock OEM locations: Door - up to 8" 3.25 depth, Corner Dash - up to 3" diam. (firing up at windshield), can add tweeter to sail panel if needed. NO rear speakers.
    - Sub depth up to 5", 1.0 cu ft max (building my own box, don't need to include price in budget)
    - Amps under seats (12x8x2 safely)

So, with $2500, what would your build be?

Speakers
    Sub
    Amps
    DSP
    Sound Treatment
    Wiring

Planning to purchase in 1 month, and want to have all my ducks in a row to do it asap once my bonus check comes in.

PS. I already have a calibrated Umik-1 and some practice with REW.
    Last edited by itsZiz; 10-05-2021 at 07:06 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: $2500 Full SQ System Suggestions

Speaker Amp - ~$700 - Helix M4 dsp amp - will need to get this from a local dealer
    Sub - $500 - JL TW3 12" (Sonic electronics has some decent deals on this sub and amp combo in this box As in if you buy the second link via calling them you can get them to throw in the amp)
    Sound treatment - $600 - Resonix all the way
    Wiring - $200 - I am a fan of Knu Koncept power and rca pure copper wires. Priced right and well into diminishing wire returns

Speakers - $500 - Maybe a audiofrog gs25 wide band (or another wideband) with peerless sls 6.5" and cross them around 300-400hz.

Total = $2500

That is what I would do if I were to build a system today that was a 2 way in a truck.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3

@jdunk54nl thanks for the input. I know sound treatment is important, its just sad to see so much of the budget go toward it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Goes to show how important a piece of the build that is though.....it can make 30 dollar speakers sound like 300 dollar speakers. I've heard it firsthand.

It's like working out...the 80/20 rule, people think it's 80% activity 20% diet but it's actually the inverse of that. Same goes to these installations.....these guys know better than myself but some 32 dollar Silver Flutes could potentially sound much better in a better install than some 'Frogs in a shit install.

I was in the process of giving you some suggestions for your build but I quickly ran out of proverbial money lol. I'll think on it more and revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by itsZiz View Post
    @jdunk54nl thanks for the input. I know sound treatment is important, its just sad to see so much of the budget go toward it.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram single cab

This is kind of hard to answer. Most will list what gear they like, but it may or may not be the best for you. Some more details would be useful like is the Tacoma a 4 dr, or extra cab style? What do you want out of the system, SQ and reasonable volume levels, or high SPL with decent SQ? Where are you going to install the sub/subs? Where are you going to install the amps?

I have a 2019 single cab Ram, so space is at a premium, so it dictated my choices to a large degree. If I had a crew cab, I could have chosen differently, although I like my setup. For instance, I went with a JL Audio 12TW1 Power Wedge enclosure. That saved me having to mount another amp somewhere as the amp is built in. If I had a larger vehicle, I may not have used it, even though I'm satisfied with the output. I used a Kicker Key 200.4 for several reasons, one it fits under the radio behind the dash because it's so small, but I was going to use its tuning, until I realized I wanted better sound, so I went with a miniDSP 8X12DL. I wanted to use stock speaker locations, so I used a 6x9 woofer, and wide band dash speakers.

Had someone else chosen my setup for me, I guarantee it would be different than what ultimately worked for me. I think $600 is a lot for deadening. Maybe try just doing the doors really well, and address other areas if needed later. I think you could do wiring for well under $100 if you chose carefully.

6. Back To Top    #6

Added info about the amps, under both seats I have room for 12x8x2. Sub is in the back with the cu ft i listed as well as SQ focused.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

What about a Musway M6v3 for the amplifier/DSP requirement?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    What about a Musway M6v3 for the amplifier/DSP requirement?
    I havent heard of them before

9. Back To Top    #9
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
    This is kind of hard to answer. Most will list what gear they like, but it may or may not be the best for you. Some more details would be useful like is the Tacoma a 4 dr, or extra cab style? What do you want out of the system, SQ and reasonable volume levels, or high SPL with decent SQ? Where are you going to install the sub/subs? Where are you going to install the amps?
    More of this please. If OP is asking what *we* would do, that's easy. But if you want advice on what would make *you* happy, that's really hard without knowing what makes you happy!

I'm not familiar with that vehicle/radio, but will you need any factory integration equipment like a PAC or Maestro unit?
    An all-in-one amplifier sounds like a good idea. You could get all 5 channels and a dsp under the seats if it's all one box like the Hertz Jdunk mentioned.
    Sound treatments are good too, but $600 worth seems like a lot?
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Ya, the $600 was just the extra that was left after everything else. I know that was about what I spent to fully cld, ccf, and mlv my truck.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods