Thread: 6 Phase Hairpin

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Cool 6 Phase Hairpin

6 PHASE HAIRPIN
    We get a lot of requests asking specifically for a "6 phase hairpin" when they really have no idea why, they have just been told its "Better".

I guess some companies promote them like they are the end-all of alternators. In my opinion, it’s really because they don't have the capacity to design a stator of their own. I think they buy whatever "shelf parts" WAI has or their distributor of choice and "Hairpin" just sounds cool, and it’s got to be better right, ....

Is a hairpin a better design than a loop wound stator”?
    Yes, absolutely. It is a better design. But...

They are too small to be a better overall design compared to a properly designed large case GM stator. IF they were the size of an AD244 then yes, they would be a "Better" alternator
    Some cars just don’t have a housing option for a large case GM, and some don’t have a housing option for a hairpin. 4.2 Trailblazer is one. There is no such housing for a 4.2L in a hairpin style. On cars that have both options, I ALWAYS do a Large Case GM style (Suburban for example)

Hairpins do NOT have more output at idle. That is probably the biggest myth of all about them. The ONLY hairpin that has more output at low rpm is a large case 270 Amp. They are just too small to do 320+ amps AND do good at a low rpm idle (Cars that idle at 900+ rpm are outliers, and any alt will idle good on them)
    Look how much LESS copper there is in a hairpin (See pic of the leads side by side)

They have 6 leads of a single conductor. Our large case GM has 3 leads of 8 wires each. 6 wires VS 24 wires in our Large Case GM, the cross-sectional area of wire is not even close.

Any stator out there that has 8 leads per phase is an Iraggi Alternator design that I came up with back in the late 1990's. It’s called a "Dual POW wind" (Dual Progressive Offset Wind.) It’s actually "Quad Wound" but the machine winds 2 coils at once, It maximizes slot fill and cross sectional area of wire per phase

A hairpin stator is literally a single piece of wire cut thousands of times and welded back together on the bottom side of the stator
    There is only 1 attribute that a hairpin stator has over a loop wound stator, and that’s the space between slots. The hairpin has approximately .050 of space between slots and the slot wound has approximately .120 of space.

The hairpin gap can be much smaller because the wire is not passed through the gap during assembly, it passed through from the top of the lamination. The wire on a loop wound must fit through the gap to go into the slot. The hairpin is a much better use of space. It all comes down to the cross-sectional area of the stator I.D. (Look at the inside of the two stators to see the difference)

I’ll be more than happy to clarify ANY info you guys have questions about. I just want you all to have what’s best for your system

These are my opinions, so don’t slam me for posting this as a fact Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture4.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	16375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture5.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	16376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture6.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	16377

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: 6 Phase Hairpin

I don't need a new alternator and I doubt I'll ever get a big one, but I am fascinated by your posts and I like learning new things about them.

What is a good resource to learn the basics about how alternators work? I know there is more to it than magnets and coils, like all the bits that keep the voltage output steady.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Re: 6 Phase Hairpin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    I don't need a new alternator and I doubt I'll ever get a big one, but I am fascinated by your posts and I like learning new things about them.

What is a good resource to learn the basics about how alternators work? I know there is more to it than magnets and coils, like all the bits that keep the voltage output steady.

Thank you so much Justin..that is very kind of you to say and I really appreciate it....I have posted some things on the site that you might be interested in https://www.iraggialternator.com/tips-and-advice