Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old fart, behind the times, looking to catch up.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2021 Silverado

Old fart, behind the times, looking to catch up.

Hey all,
    I'm Dan, a 60 y.o. with the mentality of an ADHD teenager.
    I'm up to date on my Home Theatre system and I'm enjoying Dolby Atmos, along with my Focal speakers
    I'm behind the times on car audio, especially since I bought my new truck with the ginormous center console which I just found out aren't usually removed these days, but add some component instead?
    You'll be seeing me asking stupid questions soon.
    I've been to CarAudo.com but everyone there talks down to me because I don't know the latest technology. I can't stand that.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 crew cab Duramax

Re: Old fart, behind the times, looking to catch up.

Welcome, what are you thinking about doing to the truck?
    I am trying to finish a 2016 Silverado crew cab now, getting close.

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...verado-Duramax

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Plenty of old farts around here to mingle with...

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

There's no such thing as a stupid question...just stupid people asking questions
    You're in with the older crowd, now. Kick off your slippers and make yourself at home.

What kinda music are you into? What is your budget and experience level?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2021 Silverado

Hey thanks for the kind words.
    My question that I was hesitant to post because it would show my lack of knowledge, is that I'd like to have some 3 way component speakers installed in my 2021 Silverado. I get that the tweeters go up front above the dash and the 6.5" speakers go in the doors, but....where do the midrange speakers go??

I'm looking to upgrade everything in the truck. I'm finding that there isn't a head unit to replace with this console of mine, so I went to Crutchfield and picked out the AudioControl D-6.1200, but I have no idea if this is what I really need? With my old Silverado I had the Pioneer DEH-80PRS unit with an Alpine power amp, with Focals in the front that cost me $1200 (and I left them in the truck when I traded it in), and a small subwoofer under the rear seat, and some Alpine rear speakers.

So if anyone could be kind enough to answer my questions about the midrange speakers and the AudioControl thingy, that would be enough to get me started.

Thanks again,
    Dan in NH

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

I'm not good to answer on how best to integrate with OEM systems, as I'm still in cars that allow AM.

As for a 3-way, it is best to have your mid speakers at dash height or a-pillar and as close to tweeter as possible. Mid is where the majority of your 'localization' sound will come from so it will determine the majority of your stage height and centering. In an ideal setup, you'd even have all 3 above the dash, but that isn't practical in a car.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

We have a couple of installers here who could answer more specifics. I have a 2018 Silverado with 6x9 in the doors, tweeters on the a-pillars, and 2" mids in the dash. As you can tell by my avatar that I'm a Morel fan, but there are several other really good brands out there. As you said, Focal, Hybrid Audio, Karma (fairly new brand), and many others. That amp should do all that you need for a 3-way front. Do you have the factory Bose?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2021 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    We have a couple of installers here who could answer more specifics. I have a 2018 Silverado with 6x9 in the doors, tweeters on the a-pillars, and 2" mids in the dash. As you can tell by my avatar that I'm a Morel fan, but there are several other really good brands out there. As you said, Focal, Hybrid Audio, Karma (fairly new brand), and many others. That amp should do all that you need for a 3-way front. Do you have the factory Bose?
    Hey,
    I don't have the factory Bose. Are you saying that you have 2 mids in the dash? I don't think I have that If not, then are 3-ways out of the question for me?
    I appreciate everyone's input.

Dan in NH

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2021 Silverado

I just took another look at what's in my truck for speakers. I've only had it for 2 months and just put a plow on it so I've been a bit distracted.
    it looks like I have the speakers for the doors, another spot for speakers above the dash in each corner, and....I just noticed that there are tweeters above my head, just beyond the visors? I'm not sure what's up there, but something is there. Either a spot for tweeters or maybe an air vent? I'm not even sure?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    2021 Silverado

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tweeter.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	16378Do you think this is a tweeter??