Thread: UMM-6 mic calibration (newbie question)

1. Back To Top    #1

UMM-6 mic calibration (newbie question)

I'm new to the world of DSP and I'm trying to set up my mic's cal.txt file.

The calibration file for my UMM-6 has 3 columns of numbers. I assume the left column is frequency. Are the middle and right column numbers used for zero or 90 degrees? Should I load the file exactly as it came from Dayton?

I am using the mic with the Helix DSP software.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: UMM-6 mic calibration (newbie question)

Yep left is frequency. Middle is usually the calibration part for loudness (spl) and you should see numbers somewhere between -20 to +20 ish. Right column is usually calibration for phase and you should see numbers between -180 and +180.

You should be able to load it into REW as-is.

The difference between 0 degree and 90 degree cal files are usually in the file name. If you only have one file, it's very likely the on-axis one.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the answer.

Nice Bike!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

@Ezzywave Just a quick side note if you're trying to "import" the Calc file into the Helix Software, there is currently a known bug with the 4.77a release which does not accept the import. Helix is aware of this bug and plans to address it on the next DSP Tools release. However, you can manually add it by going into the install folder and modifying the Cal.txt file with the numbers from your UMM-6 cal file

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, I didn't know anything about a bug but I thought it was necessary to modify the cal.txt file.

Which brings up another question. Do I paste all the data from the UMM-6 calibration file, or just the frequencies that the Helix has listed in cal.txt? I think they are the same frequencies that the Helix EQ uses?

Or should I be doing measurements with REW instead of the Helix program?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzywave View Post
    Oh, I didn't know anything about a bug but I thought it was necessary to modify the cal.txt file.

Which brings up another question. Do I paste all the data from the UMM-6 calibration file, or just the frequencies that the Helix has listed in cal.txt? I think they are the same frequencies that the Helix EQ uses?
    All of it.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods