Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tweeter, to Capacitor or not to Capacitor?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Vehicle
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is

Tweeter, to Capacitor or not to Capacitor?

I'm going about replacing the front stage in my X5 and the tweeters that were in it have a capacitor inline (which I would expect). My question, should I install one on the tweeter that is going in (2.5ohm Infinity Kappa)? I'm going to have it X'd over ~4khz using the DSP. Should I worry about not having a cap on the tweeter? I like the idea as a failsafe. Can I set the Xover on the amp to something like 3khz as a in lieu of the cap?

If it turns out you guys think I should have a cap, where are you guys buying them? For a 2.5ohm driver the options seem limited for my chosen frequencies. I can find a 15uf 100v or a 22uf 100v non-polar cap which would put it at ~4250hz or ~2800hz respectively. Am I overthinking this? Probably. Thanks for any info.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Tweeter, to Capacitor or not to Capacitor?

I've never used one. I trust in my abilities with my DSP not to screw it up. If you can set your amp at the Fs of the tweeter (typically 900-1500), that should not impact the acoustical crossover you want to achieve while protecting them from accidental DSP setting.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I would highly recommend a cap. They are dirt cheap, compared to replacing a tweeter. I have learned this lesson the hard way. It really doesn't take much to cook the tweeter. Someone (mechanic) messing around, battery issues or DSP issues etc. Then you go weeks without good music while you wait for the new one.

You can even plug it into the amp (between speaker wire and amp plug) and make the install easy. No need to pull the speakers out, which ever end is easiest to get at.

For less then 5 bucks, the peace of mind is well worth it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Yes. a 40 to 68 microfarad capacitor is definitely a good idea. A DSP is a computer and can mess up outside of just user error. Spend the $4 and get two.

https://www.parts-express.com/68uF-1...acitor-027-356

https://www.parts-express.com/47uF-1...acitor-027-352
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Vehicle
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Yes. a 40 to 68 microfarad capacitor is definitely a good idea. A DSP is a computer and can mess up outside of just user error. Spend the $4 and get two.

https://www.parts-express.com/68uF-1...acitor-027-356

https://www.parts-express.com/47uF-1...acitor-027-352
    Thanks for the responses.

Sounds reasonable. I always hate ordering tiny orders from PE but not against it. That would put the Xover ~1350hz on the 2.5ohm tweeter according to online calculator. That not too low?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

You aren't using this as a crossover, it is for protection only. You don't want the high pass of the capacitor too high to interfere with your acoustic response and your EQ work.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram single cab

You aren't using this as a crossover, it is for protection only. You don't want the high pass of the capacitor too high to interfere with your acoustic response and your EQ work.
    This is exactly right. Although I've never used one when I ran tweeters active, it's just to keep low frequencies out of the tweeter so you don't blow it if you screw up and turn the highpass crossover off for the tweeters by accident. It should be well below your actual crossover frequency or you'll be effecting the active crossover frequency in unexpected ways.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Vehicle
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is

Quote Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
    This is exactly right. Although I've never used one when I ran tweeters active, it's just to keep low frequencies out of the tweeter so you don't blow it if you screw up and turn the highpass crossover off for the tweeters by accident. It should be well below your actual crossover frequency or you'll be effecting the active crossover frequency in unexpected ways.
    Yes, sorry, I didn't mean too low acoustically. I meant electrically. Didn't know how low the tweeter could play without damage. If 1350hz is tolerable (not damaging) for the tweeter then yes, I like the idea of adding the 47uF cap.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram single cab

Quote Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
    Yes, sorry, I didn't mean too low acoustically. I meant electrically. Didn't know how low the tweeter could play without damage. If 1350hz is tolerable (not damaging) for the tweeter then yes, I like the idea of adding the 47uF cap.
    That capacitor is only there as a safety net. If you pay attention while tuning and stuff, you'll never need it, but if you do, it should protect the tweeter. The tweeter wouldn't want to run at 1.35khz, but if you accidentally gave it a signal that low for a second or two, it should survive and is WAY better than giving that same tweeter an unfiltered full range signal. That'll toast it almost instantly.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Vehicle
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is

Went ahead and ordered a handful. Also took the opportunity to pick up a UMIK-1. Gotta hit that free shipping mark you know. Plus I hate ordering $5.50 worth of parts and paying $9 to ship them.