Thread: Prv audio local speakers

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Lightbulb Prv audio local speakers

PRV AUDIO Vocal Speakers....
    This may not make sense initially, but a high-quality speaker will have less bandwidth than a lower quality speaker... (for the most part)
    Just like a 3- or 4-way system is always better than a 1- or 2-way system. The narrower the bandwidth the speaker must play the cleaner it will sound. This will also keep you from asking the speaker to play up to its upper and lower frequency limits which are where it starts to sound "forced" to play those frequencies

Pro Audio speakers are nothing new to car audio, but I see consumers not really knowing how to properly use them and having some issues which is understandable. These are totally different than your standard coaxial speaker

If you look at the graph on the 6mr500ndy, which sounds amazing, you'll see that it can play from 90hz to 12,000hz... but if you narrow it down to what is plays "best" and more "naturally" it’s closer to 200hz to 10,000hz. Yes, it can play down to 50hz but not efficiently and not as well as 200 and up. Very low volume that would be fine but in what we do with the speaker you will want to cross it over closer to 200-300hz
    I get a lot of PMs asking if this speaker will pick up where my subs leave off? … around 60-80hz. I say no but the specs say "yes”. 99-13k so that may be a little confusing if you don’t look at the graph and understand what information it has in it

So, for someone interested in using this speaker as a voice speaker, which I HIGHLY recommend, you will also need a "midbass" speaker to go with it such as a 10mb800 or 10mb500 or 8mb450.
    This leads me to another piece of information. PRV model numbers have an "MR”, “MB", "SW" or "W" in between the size of the driver and wattage of the individual speaker. MR=midrange

MB=midbass

W=woofer
    SW=subwoofer

This is a general guideline for what the speaker is geared towards. That doesn’t mean an 8mb450 can’t be used for midrange or and 8mr400 can’t be used for midbass. That is where the graph and interpretation of the graph comes into play
    There is a lot more that goes into designing your front stage or your "voice" speakers that one of these days I’ll try and have a more in depth write up. The possibilities are endless...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	General Specifications.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	16328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paramaters.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	16329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extra Info.JPG 
Views:	502 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	16327

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Prv audio local speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa_IraggiAlts View Post
    Just like a 3- or 4-way system is always better than a 1- or 2-way system. The narrower the bandwidth the speaker must play the cleaner it will sound. This will also keep you from asking the speaker to play up to its upper and lower frequency limits which are where it starts to sound "forced" to play those frequencies
    Speaking from personal experience, if you choose drivers that compliment each other and proper crossover frequencies, a 2-way can often sound better than a 3-way because of fewer phase issues.

...but in general terms, I see where you're coming from

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Just like a 3- or 4-way system is always better than a 1- or 2-way system.

I will go as far as to say this belongs in your myths thread

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Why do you think that?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Definitely speaker dependent

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Why do you think that?
    Because it's simply not true

Definitely speaker dependent
    I exclusively run 2 way systems, and of course I choose my drivers based on that. I wouldn't buy a Smart car and expect to pull a travel trailer. With that being said, the most critical choice is a low fs tweeter ( I'm a Morel fan boi). If my tweeter will play down to 2k or below, many 6.5-7" mids will mate with it. But there again, I choose what will sound best with a good dose of power. Solid gear, solid install, then my tuner makes me look good

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

PRV Audio and Hertz SPL Show speakers are some of the most misused speakers I've seen, especially on Harleys. There are plenty of shops trying to use speakers such as the PRV 6MR500NDY (or Hertz SV 165.1) as an 80hz-20khz driver in the fairing and a PRV 8MB450-4 (or Hertz SV 200.1) as an 80hz and down driver in the bag lid or side of the bag.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

I understand your point, the point of the post is people expecting a pro audio 6.5" that really plays from 200hz to 5k and trying to cross it over at 60hz and blowing them up.

As far as a tweeter playing down to 2k I'm really not a fan. 2k is really too low for a tiny tweeter to play down to, ... 2k is more upper midrange than "tweeter". I like tweeters to play closer to 4 or 5k and up especially at high volume levels. 1200-3k is a harsh bandwidth I would rather have a cone type speaker playing that range

Of course this is just my opinion...

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Tiny tweeters

Next time you're in Texas gimme a holler, I'll let you demo. Current system has smaller tweets, but it still does pretty well https://www.amazon.com/Morel-MT-230-.../dp/B00B9LCTHG

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Are those 1" domes?