Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phase shifts from using full range bridged amps?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Phase shifts from using full range bridged amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Never heard that one before.
    I'm also kinda doubtful.

If the phase between channels was bad enough to be heard in bridged mode, then it should also be audible if you use those two channels in a stereo pair right?
    This was my thought, the two channels are outputting the same phase so that when bridged you get twice the voltage, if not you wouldn’t and imaging would suck between two channels and ta would be a nightmare!

as I say above he is a very well known engineer of amps who worked at phase linear, so who knows

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Maybe they should have named the company Phase Nonlinear

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    I am a responder on that Facebook post, the guy who made the statement is an ex phase linear tech

i did respond by stating I have never measured any difference in phase (which would effect timing also) between a stereo channel and then when I bridged the same amp onto the mids also, so I stated I didn’t see how it could be an issue

he wasn’t talking about a stereo input, he specifically was saying it in response to someone who wanted to bridge an amp to run various drivers (not subs)

I got told I didn’t know who he was or words to that effect, I replied with when I’ve done exactly this I have never seen any difference in phase at the speakers actual output when measured at the listening position

he does definitely know his onions and has pedigree, but I dismissed it as a none entity

as in theory at least if one pair of channels induces some kind of phase shift then the other pair of channels would, and so the phase would still match if anything changed at all

i understand that when bridging the phase is inverted on one channel of a pair to be bridged as it’s driven from the negative vs the first channels positive so when combined there is a push pull effect occurring, but that won’t effect the phase of the output as it just makes a bigger sine wave with twice the voltage effectively

curious as to what he’s speaking about… but I haven’t measured it in any case where I’ve been using stereo channels and then swapped to bridged channels and I do like measuring phase
    Out of curiosity, someone should ask this possible ex-Jensen tech if the same thing occurs when you bridge a 4 channel amp to 2 channels.

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    Out of curiosity, someone should ask this possible ex-Jensen tech if the same thing occurs when you bridge a 4 channel amp to 2 channels.
    That’s the exact same just done twice

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    Lexus LX 470 (Land Cruiser)

Btw, I am not trying to criticize him but, trying to understand what he was saying.

Btw, he is a well known Amp guy but, as far as I know he didn't work for Jensen or Phase Liner.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    That’s the exact same just done twice
    I know, but companies like a/d/s/ didn't make powerful 2 channel amps so people would bridge the 4 channel models for more power.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post
    Btw, I am not trying to criticize him but, trying to understand what he was saying.

Btw, he is a well known Amp guy but, as far as I know he didn't work for Jensen or Phase Liner.
    He could be a genius, but a statement such as that requires an explanation that makes sense.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

From all of the amps measured over at ASR, only very poor ones have phase mismatch issues. Most have channels that are identical.

Even this dual da10004d amp had channel matching in phase (top left graph)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...plifier.25765/
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    From all of the amps measured over at ASR, only very poor ones have phase mismatch issues. Most have channels that are identical.

Even this dual da10004d amp had channel matching in phase (top left graph)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...plifier.25765/
    Not sure where you have seen phase at high freq measured? A single freq doesn’t confirm what this guy was saying, low freqs are simpler according to this engineer, I will ask amir if he can measure some to check, any amp should exhibit this stability if bridgable I would think…

by the way I’m not saying there’s any weight to the engineers statement, just that his statement was that low freqs are not where issues arise
    Last edited by dumdum; 09-19-2021 at 02:57 PM.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2021 Camaro 2SS

I hope this isn't true...A few weeks back I emailed with ARC asking what the best way was to power a 4Ohm midbass and a 8Ohm midrange to get over 150W per driver using SE4200s. One of the suggestions was to use 2 SE4200, one for the left and one for the right with the channels bridged. He said they do this all the time in competition cars. I'm thinking ARC would know if that caused phase issues...

10. Back To Top    #20
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Unless the "well known car audio guy" comes over here and starts posting, this isn't a thing.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.