Thread: Comparison of Abuse

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Comparison of Abuse

𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐁𝐔𝐒𝐄
    I was thinking about something the other day.... would love to hear some feedback

A comparison of abuse each individual component takes in your typical car audio system, (10,000 watts of power for example)

𝐒𝐔𝐁𝐖𝐎𝐎𝐅𝐄𝐑𝐒-
    Typically, a pair of 2500–3000-watt subs on a 10k or 10k worth of power, so real close to double its rated capacity
    (People blow subs daily, and recon all the time, and never say a word about the product, or quality of product. They just accept its part of the game and move on)

$500 sub, $150 recon kit, EVERY time it blows. That gets expensive quick, but still, nobody cares, they seem happy and proud they launched coils all the way onto the dashboard

𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐈𝐄𝐑𝐒-
    Usually ran at 1/2Ω, so DOUBLE its rated load also
    Sometimes 18 volts AND down to 1/4Ω, so at least 4-5 times its rated capacity easy

𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒-
    I have yet to see a system without enough batter power. People usually go overboard by 125-150% minimum

𝐀𝐋𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐒-
    320 amps is probably the most common amperage. 10K pulls between 900 and 1200 amps depending on its configuration. That's 3-4 times the alts rated capacity, ... unless you have duals on your 10k of power, then it’s still double the alts capacity
    Alternator goes out, drops two tenths of a volt under load, gets a little hot, takes out a rectifier or regulator and everyone loses their mind. They make a post at the next red-light, post pictures, get all upset, send their alt to someone else to repair thinking they will do a better job and talk about it for the next 18 months

Most abuse repairs are $75, half the price of a recon that some so happily buy once a week

𝐒𝐎, 𝐓𝐎 𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐀𝐏...
    Subs ran at double their rated power, but it seems nobody cares when they blow, they buy "so and so" soft parts.
    Amps ran at double their rated specifications; nobody cares when they blow up. They care more than subs, but still, they call an Amp-medic or whomever and get it fixed with very minimal complaining

Batteries ran at below ratings usually so very rare for a battery to go bad, unless you are running voltage too high, which nobody does right? lol
    Alternators expected to power 3-4 times their capacity & maintain a bank of batteries at the same time and when they end up burning up an alt, they go crazy

ORDER OF LEVEL OF TYPICAL ABUSE... IN MY OBSERVATIONS ANYWAY.
    1- Alternator. (Most heavily abused)
    2- Amplifiers
    3- Subwoofers
    4- Batteries

I don’t get it..why is it someone would be more upset that the most abused component fails?
    Attachment 16286

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Comparison of Abuse

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa_IraggiAlts View Post
    𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐁𝐔𝐒𝐄
    I was thinking about something the other day.... would love to hear some feedback

A comparison of abuse each individual component takes in your typical car audio system, (10,000 watts of power for example)

𝐒𝐔𝐁𝐖𝐎𝐎𝐅𝐄𝐑𝐒-
    Typically, a pair of 2500–3000-watt subs on a 10k or 10k worth of power, so real close to double its rated capacity
    (People blow subs daily, and recon all the time, and never say a word about the product, or quality of product. They just accept its part of the game and move on)

$500 sub, $150 recon kit, EVERY time it blows. That gets expensive quick, but still, nobody cares, they seem happy and proud they launched coils all the way onto the dashboard

𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐈𝐄𝐑𝐒-
    Usually ran at 1/2Ω, so DOUBLE its rated load also
    Sometimes 18 volts AND down to 1/4Ω, so at least 4-5 times its rated capacity easy

𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒-
    I have yet to see a system without enough batter power. People usually go overboard by 125-150% minimum

𝐀𝐋𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐒-
    320 amps is probably the most common amperage. 10K pulls between 900 and 1200 amps depending on its configuration. That's 3-4 times the alts rated capacity, ... unless you have duals on your 10k of power, then it’s still double the alts capacity
    Alternator goes out, drops two tenths of a volt under load, gets a little hot, takes out a rectifier or regulator and everyone loses their mind. They make a post at the next red-light, post pictures, get all upset, send their alt to someone else to repair thinking they will do a better job and talk about it for the next 18 months

Most abuse repairs are $75, half the price of a recon that some so happily buy once a week

𝐒𝐎, 𝐓𝐎 𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐀𝐏...
    Subs ran at double their rated power, but it seems nobody cares when they blow, they buy "so and so" soft parts.
    Amps ran at double their rated specifications; nobody cares when they blow up. They care more than subs, but still, they call an Amp-medic or whomever and get it fixed with very minimal complaining

Batteries ran at below ratings usually so very rare for a battery to go bad, unless you are running voltage too high, which nobody does right? lol
    Alternators expected to power 3-4 times their capacity & maintain a bank of batteries at the same time and when they end up burning up an alt, they go crazy

ORDER OF LEVEL OF TYPICAL ABUSE... IN MY OBSERVATIONS ANYWAY.
    1- Alternator. (Most heavily abused)
    2- Amplifiers
    3- Subwoofers
    4- Batteries

I don’t get it..why is it someone would be more upset that the most abused component fails?
    Attachment 16286

I see your point, but a fried sub or amp won't strand you in a bad neighborhood.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you guys sell an alternator that puts out jiggawatts? That fits a DeLorean?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    Do you guys sell an alternator that puts out jiggawatts? That fits a DeLorean?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    I see your point, but a fried sub or amp won't strand you in a bad neighborhood.
    Right, they wont leave you stranded but the expectations are the problem lol

6. Back To Top    #6
    Perpetually dissatisfied tRidiot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa_IraggiAlts View Post
    Right, they wont leave you stranded but the expectations are the problem lol
    As with sooooooo many things in life. Don't get me started on that crap... I've got a teenager.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
    As with sooooooo many things in life. Don't get me started on that crap... I've got a teenager.

OMG I know...I have two boys on their own now in their 20's but a 13 year old still at home. He use to hang out with me, he stays in his dark room, talks like his friends and is in FULL teenager mode hAttachment 16319aahaa

8. Back To Top    #8
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

So what happens when an alternator is asked to provide more current than it is capable of? If for example my 80A unit is connected to the 10kw system. Does the voltage output from the alternator reduce down a level where it can handle the current, or until the next largest power source starts working like 12v ish when the battery starts contributing?

I mean, what is the failure mode of an alternator look like? Are they typically designed to fail safe or do thy tend to burn themselves out when overworked?

Like a subwoofer would get hot and need a recone kit. An amplifier would also get hot or maybe self-protect. A battery might overheat and do really bad things. You know?
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Melissa Jones
    Vehicle
    Suburban

So what happens when an alternator is asked to provide more current than it is capable of? If for example my 80A unit is connected to the 10kw system. Does the voltage output from the alternator reduce down a level where it can handle the current, or until the next largest power source starts working like 12v ish when the battery starts contributing?
    When you pull more current than the alternator can do voltage drops to the level of the next highest source, which would be your battery. If you have an 80A alternator, that is the most it can do, the voltage doesn't drop so it can produce more current.

I mean, what is the failure mode of an alternator look like? Are they typically designed to fail safe or do thy tend to burn themselves out when overworked?
    They just burn themselves up when they are overworked, that is why you see melted winding and rectifiers

Melissa