Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a Stinger Heigh10?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram single cab

Does anyone have a Stinger Heigh10?

Not to talk shit, but this forum seems really dead, like days go by without a post, but anyway I'll see what happens with this, I'm considering swapping out the 8.4" in my 2019 Ram Classic single cab. The pros are a bigger screen, a Toslink out (I use a miniDSP 8x12DL, I can get rid of some RCA cables and my AudioControl lc2i pro, some extra info displayed that the stock radio doesn't. Cons are not quite as clean looking as the stock unit, the price for the whole kit, and having to rewire some stuff and do a reinstall physically.

I have an aftermarket wiring harness now that goes between the factory harness and the factory radio, because I wanted the radio to power the rear 6x9's even though they're pretty much shut off, and wanted to use the factory wiring for the door 6x9's to connect to my amp and I didn't want to cut the factory wiring. I don't know If I'll need to keep that harness, as I don't know how the Heigh10 harness is. So I may end up with a lot of wiring behind the dash. I could get rid of the harness if the Heigh10 allows the speaker outputs to by connected together, or routed elsewhere, and not a continuous harness that would need to be cut.

Anyway, I'm wondering if people like the Heigh10 overall, and if the Toslink out is cleaner than through the AudioControl LC2I pro. I'd assume so, but real world experience is better than how things "should" be. So thoughts, your experience with it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does anyone have a Stinger Heigh10?

i've got one. i use toslink as well into my dsp. carplay works well. siriusXM tuner works well. usb playback works well. glare management on the screen's good. the heigh10's plastics match my car's interior well. software's got enough options. takes about 20s to boot though. if i start the car and throw it into reverse, the backup camera seems to come up quickly/first.

but if you like the integration with the factory radio, might consider a PAC or navTV unit. you'll get toslink as well and probably save some money compared to the stinger unit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't need a whole lotta traffic when you get a great answer like Nick just gave!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

That's because we BS in the live chat instead of in people's threads

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

My Morel teammate has one, but recently switched to a Kenwood. I asked him about it and he replied...

The software was kind of glitchy in mine... It has trouble playing certain high-res files and when using Android Auto it was very finicky at times.I feel like firmware changes can fix a lot of the issues I had. I just wasn't going to wait around for them to get those done. I still have mine I'm just not using it

6. Back To Top    #6

i don't find the value in high-res content, so i don't encounter that issue. the high-res content i do have, i play through carplay and it plays fine.

my dsp shows 48k/23b on toslink from this radio, so any high-res content will get downsampled. toslink generally doesn't do above 96k/24b anyway, so i could see some challenges with high-res.

the mishmash of incompatible standards and behavior of high-res equipment further destroys any other value i see in it. you know what they say though - if it ain't difficult to use, it ain't sound-quality.

maybe the high-res stuff will improve over time.

i haven't tried android auto.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

48/24 is technically considered hi-res. 48/16 or less is not. I'd say almost no one could tell the difference from 48kHz at 24-bit from 96 or 192. I think 48/24 is a good high end to push for these days. Most people struggle identifying difference of 44/16 lossless over lossy 320mbps mp3

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram single cab

Thanks for the inputs. I don't really have any true high res files, most of my music is FLAC, not 96k, because the files are too big, for little if any audible gain, and 320k MP3, so the Stinger unit wouldn't be a problem in this regard. I'd really be interested in the difference between it's Toslink out vs my AudioControl lc2i pro, although I don't have any hiss or other noises. The Heigh10 doesn't look bad in a Ram, but it's not as nicely integrated as it is in Chevy trucks and a few other vehicles, but the Ram dash doesn't allow it I guess.

My setup as of now:

Stock 8.4" headunit to lc2i pro
    MiniDSP 8X12DL
    Kicker Key 200.4 (just used as a straight 4 channel amp, no processing. I tried using the processing originally, but it just didn't quite cut it, and I needed a lot of sub eq so I got the miniDSP)
    CDT CL69S in the doors and behind the front seats (the rear ones are powered off the headunit, but not really doing anything)
    CDT Unity 8's in the dash
    JL Audio ACS112LG-TW1 (powered sub with built in 400 watt amp)

I'm considering replacing the Kicker Key 200.4 with an AudioControl ACM 4.300 as that amp seems to be under rated by about half, even though the Kicker gets pretty loud, I wouldn't mind more power up front. The down side to a single cab truck is there isn't a low of room for equipment, and I want it to look as stock as possible, so I have to use mini amps, and as little equipment as I can get by with.

9. Back To Top    #9

using a PAC unit or toslink from the heigh10 should probably clear up the sound a bit compared to the lc2i.

if your concern is getting toslink-out but you're otherwise happy with the factory radio, i'd look at getting the PAC unit. https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...es/ap4-ch41-r2 and related modules

if you want a bigger screen and a newer toy but also get toslink-out? grab the heigh10.

the heigh10+ram kit seem like a pretty pricy set together to retain all the factory integrations and have an install which looks closer to factory. maybe you can get a good price on the PAC+Stinger stuff. https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...ent/srk-ram13h

but if you're gonna pull it all apart to run toslink, i'd run a USB cable and spdif coax as well. saves you some heartache down the road when you want to change stuff up. maybe add some 4ch rca too.

(i do toslink from radio to 8ch dsp and analog/rca from radio to minidsp 2x4. having the wiring already there made some of the decisions easier down the road)
    Last edited by nadams5755; 09-10-2021 at 07:37 PM.

10. Back To Top    #10

seems to integrate w/ my dash pretty good though