Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub suggestions 5k watts

1. Back To Top    #1

Sub suggestions 5k watts

I have a Soundqubed s1-2250 with another one on the way. So im going to have around 5k watts @ 2 ohms strapped. My budget is $600 - $750. I'm having trouble figuring if I should get one sub that can handle a lot of power, and then get another in the future. Or if i should go ahead and just get 2 lower handling subs. Would 2 subs be louder than 1 on the same power? Any recommendations would be appreciated. These are some of the subs I've been looking at.

Single Subs
    Sundown Xv.3 12- $620
    Sundown Z v5 12- $790
    Deaf bonce 3012r - $520
    Deaf bonce 3512r - $750

Dual Subs
    Skar ZVX 12 - $380 ea.
    Sundown SA v2 - $330 ea.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Sub suggestions 5k watts

Two subs, in theory, would be about 3db louder on the same power. 4 subs would be 3db louder than 2, and so on. This is assuming all of the subs are identical.

If not, best to model the subs in enclosures with the given power required. WINisd, bass box pro, etc work well to model these things.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
    Would 2 subs be louder than 1 on the same power? Any recommendations would be appreciated. These are some of the subs I've been looking at.
    I can't help with a recommendation, but Jdunk is right that twice the cone area should be +3dB louder, even if you're using the same total power.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #4

The Stereo Integrity SQL series seem to be very popular and well regarded among highly knowledgeable and experienced folks, and reportedly can handle much higher than rated power. Two SQL-12s are within your budget and are an unmatched value if you want both loud and clean.

https://stereointegrity.com/product/sql-series/
    "That's all, folks!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
    I have a Soundqubed s1-2250 with another one on the way. So im going to have around 5k watts @ 2 ohms strapped. My budget is $600 - $750. I'm having trouble figuring if I should get one sub that can handle a lot of power, and then get another in the future. Or if i should go ahead and just get 2 lower handling subs. Would 2 subs be louder than 1 on the same power? Any recommendations would be appreciated. These are some of the subs I've been looking at.

Single Subs
    Sundown Xv.3 12- $620
    Sundown Z v5 12- $790
    Deaf bonce 3012r - $520
    Deaf bonce 3512r - $750

Dual Subs
    Skar ZVX 12 - $380 ea.
    Sundown SA v2 - $330 ea.
    Have you looked at strapped output vs. unstrapped output? Strapped output is usually less than the sum of unstrapped output. The only advantage is having to adjust 1 gain instead of 2.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses, I had not heard of Stereo Integrity before but they look pretty nice. As for strapping vs. not strapping, I will look into that. Pretty much set that I'm going to go the 2 sub route. I didnt say in my original post, but I am mainly looking for SPL.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

IMO, you're going about this all wrong. Typically, you find a sub that fits your need, then find an amp to run it. You might find something that does what you want with only one amp.

Nick from Stereo Integrity and Jacob from Sundown are best friends. in fact, SI is actually housed in the same building as Sundown

Check this vid out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-CC3G5aLU

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Also a boring, but very relevant question. What do you have to supply power for 5000w of amplification in your car? I had a Scion Xb-based car myself (Toyota Funcargo) a while back, and the stock 90A alternator does not supply much for a huge install.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

If you mainly want SPL then I would go for the HST 15 or 18 over the SQL 12. Even if you can only start with one and get second later.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

I can attest to the capabilities of an HST-15. Savage beast in the right circumstances. 3 cube box tuned low and let it eat.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    If you mainly want SPL then I would go for the HST 15 or 18 over the SQL 12. Even if you can only start with one and get second later.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall