Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Choosing an amp

1. Back To Top    #41
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Choosing an amp

You "could" add on to it and put a vent in the end of it but securing the addition might cause a weak area that would end up leaking over time. My dad also has an 02 Silverado but can't remember exactly what's going on under there because I've never really paid attention under the back seat of those trucks. I've installed audio gear in a few of them but was always on the front end...his included. If you have the carpentry skills building a ported box should be pretty easy even with the tranny hump to work around. The only concern I'd have is the narrow spot in the middle causing something goofy to happen with the tuning of the box. There are people on here that know way more than I do about that so hopefully they'll chime in. Big thing is the box must be PERFECTLY sealed up. You don't want any leaks at all.

EDIT: Looking at the box you linked to the narrow space over the tranny hump shouldn't cause any issues at all. I would build the ported box similar to the one you just bought, but go ahead and let the narrow part keep on going over instead of letting it drop down on the other side for simplicity sake IF you can get enough air space that way.
    Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 02-28-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #42
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

I second Chris's statement use the prefab as a template for your new box and if you need a little help with the fabrication check this video out. You don't need to do everything the exact same was as he does but it's a very good overview of basic solid box construction.

3. Back To Top    #43

So my best bet is to scratch the box I have now and start over building my own? The part I don't understand like what hillbilly mentioned is the tuning part.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #44

Alright after watching that video it does look that hard except how does he know its tuned to 32 hertz and how many many square feet it is with all those braces on the corners.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #45
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

In a ported box you tune by varying the size and depth of the port. To figure this and the correct box volume out you can try out winISD, they have some instructions on the site as how to use the program as well. As far as the volume eaten up by the braces I've always s made the enclosure a bit larger than needed and kinda winged it. Not the best way but it's worked decently for me.

Sent from my SRF77 using Tapatalk