Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Mazdaspeed3 - Dark Side of the Zoomzoom

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: 2013 Mazdaspeed3 - Dark Side of the Zoomzoom

On the driver’s side, I ran 8 channels of speaker wire, as I want to experiment with an in-dash or below dash sub. I will have terminal strips so that I can run numerous configurations after settling on driver selection. For now, they are coiled up in the space where the Styrofoam block was for the dead pedal:

The yellow, red, and black wires in this last shot are for the seat heater controls which I intend to mount to the left of the steering column in a spare controls knockout that matches the size of the heater control dials (5 levels of heating per side). Also, I took a page out of Steve’s ventilation mod book and capped off the ducting at the center console that went to the floor below the front seats.

It was then time to place the carpet back in the car, so my faithful assistant helped with the prep work:

It fits! (to my wife’s surprise)

Bose amp re-installed:

I don’t have pictures of the cabin fully re-assembled as it was sufficiently dark by the time all the trim was back in place, but it looks JUST LIKE the factory interior that I don’t think it adds anything of value anyway.
    So, the hatch is still apart and deserves some dedicated time to address the biggest source of road noise I have. I need to do the doors as well, but these are simple, piecemeal projects that I can fit in here and there until I am ready to fab up some enclosures.

I will be doing midbass in the kickpanels (considering the B&C 8NDL51 or similar for efficiency’s sake), mids in the a-pillars and tweeters in the sail panels. I don’t have specific drivers picked out yet for those. The mids will have the biggest influence on the outcome as far I see it, so I want those to be the lead selection and build around that. I do have Tang Band w3 bamboos and (8) Dayton ND91s earmarked for a home mini-array, but I know the Tang Band’s wouldn’t come close to keeping up with a pro audio midbass and I don’t want to eat up my other project just because I have them. I’ll have more updates in the next week or two as I finish up the hatch area and have more research in on drivers.
    Last edited by OSN; 03-27-2014 at 02:31 PM.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Looks great!

Re: The B&C 8NDL51 mids... I would recommend the 8BG51 instead.
    Have a look at the modeling I did previously. They have lower FS, higher QTS and still excellent xmax. Sensitivity is still great, but closer to where the higher end of car audio would be which helps for a better match between drivers.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...equencies.html

^^ This model was simulating IB and with a 60hz crossover filter. The B&C8BG51 can take a hell of a lot of power and not run out of xmax when mated to a sub around this crossover region. With its higher sensitivity it should provide gobs of output. It can also be used in a smallish enclosure if you want to go sealed.

As for midrange...I have a pair of HAT L4's in the closet Also have BG Neo8S's and neo3pdr's. The neo8's will work well in either the pillar or dash. Neo3s are excellent in the sails. They would mate up nicely with their good sensitivity.

I wouldn't worry about "keeping up" with a pro audio midbass. Think of it this way...both drivers are capable of playing painfully loud. The midbass will just be a little more efficient meaning less stress on the amplifier and lower power compression

3. Back To Top    #23

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    Looks great!

Re: The B&C 8NDL51 mids... I would recommend the 8BG51 instead.
    Have a look at the modeling I did previously. They have lower FS, higher QTS and still excellent xmax. Sensitivity is still great, but closer to where the higher end of car audio would be which helps for a better match between drivers.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...equencies.html

^^ This model was simulating IB and with a 60hz crossover filter. The B&C8BG51 can take a hell of a lot of power and not run out of xmax when mated to a sub around this crossover region. With its higher sensitivity it should provide gobs of output. It can also be used in a smallish enclosure if you want to go sealed.

As for midrange...I have a pair of HAT L4's in the closet Also have BG Neo8S's and neo3pdr's. The neo8's will work well in either the pillar or dash. Neo3s are excellent in the sails. They would mate up nicely with their good sensitivity.

I wouldn't worry about "keeping up" with a pro audio midbass. Think of it this way...both drivers are capable of playing painfully loud. The midbass will just be a little more efficient meaning less stress on the amplifier and lower power compression
    Good call on the Fs with the 8BG51s, the impedance curve looks a little healthier going down to 80 or 100 Hz. I was originally thinking IB and opening up the kicks to atmosphere, but these guys working well in small sealed would do the trick really well also. The L4s are legit, I've always liked them, not sure how they'd fit in the pillars but I will keep it in mind. The Neo's never cross my mind when I consider my options, I don't know why. I think I need to give a listen. Using high efficiency drivers would mean I don't need as much power as I thought originally.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Quote Originally Posted by OSN View Post
    Good call on the Fs with the 8BG51s, the impedance curve looks a little healthier going down to 80 or 100 Hz. I was originally thinking IB and opening up the kicks to atmosphere, but these guys working well in small sealed would do the trick really well also. The L4s are legit, I've always liked them, not sure how they'd fit in the pillars but I will keep it in mind. The Neo's never cross my mind when I consider my options, I don't know why. I think I need to give a listen. Using high efficiency drivers would mean I don't need as much power as I thought originally.

For reference, the L3pro's I have in my pillars are only slightly smaller than the L4's The pillars in the '3 are pretty wide so it works visually. If you're using a tweeter you also don't have to worry about on axis placement for the mids which allows them to sit even more flush.
    The neo8S and neo3pdr sound fantastic. On a bad tune, that's what I had in the car at state finals when it did quite well. They are effortlessly detailed.

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Chris B
    Vehicle
    2019 Japanese 4dr Mustang

Very nice!

Also, your build is progressing so much better than mine. I already sold my 3Sixty.3, and considered selling my MMATS HIFI-6150d for less than my asking price. Come to think of it, my build is going in reverse...
    2019 WRX Limited - Stock HK for now while waiting on parts to be developed...

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

OSN, the pichures are broken.

7. Back To Top    #27

Hmm, is anyone else having issues accessing them? They show up fine for me, although I see one in the OP that I can't edit...I had 2 of the same picture in my photobucket and I deleted the wrong one, apparently.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

I see them just fine...?

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Chris B
    Vehicle
    2019 Japanese 4dr Mustang

Showing up fine for me too. Reminds me of everything that I am NOT going to do to my current vehicle. hahahahaha
    2019 WRX Limited - Stock HK for now while waiting on parts to be developed...

10. Back To Top    #30

No updates yet, but this is the cleanest the car has been since I bought it so I took a few pics:

Also, a funny car pic I took myself on my commute:

Last edited by OSN; 04-06-2014 at 02:56 PM.