Thread: CDT unity 8.0

1. Back To Top    #1

CDT unity 8.0

Just wondering if anyone is using the cdt unity drivers? I was looking at the 8.0 in the pod. My thoughts were mounted on axis on the a-pillar, I like the look of them and they match with the shape of the air vents on the dash ( black circles with a Crome ring). Right now I have a set of JL C5-650’s. 6.5 in the door and the tweets in the stock a-pillar location. Any input on using a wide band driver I place of a dedicated tweeter? Also should mention running full active.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: CDT unity 8.0

They definitely look good both physically and on paper. Serieus on here ordered a set to try, but decided to go a different route and didn't get to use them. But they sure looked beefy and well built.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram single cab

I'm using them in the dash along with their slim 6x9's in the doors in my '19 Ram single cab. I running them from 375hz @24db and they sound excellent. I think they can play down to about 250hz, but I wanted them to have a little more protection. I personally don't miss a tweeter with them. I'm also using a miniDSP 8x12 DL, and the sound stage sounds really good and wide, sometimes sounding like the stage is actually wider than the car. I'm powering them with 2 channels from a Kicker Key 200.4. I used the Kickers processing originally and it sounded ok, but often too narrow and small sounding, so I'm just using it as a straight 4 channel amp since it's so small and it was already mounted. I didn't see any good reason to replace it.

4. Back To Top    #4

I just installed the Unity 8.0s in my brother's '18 Wrangler. They're in the dash, pointed up at the (very upright) windshield. They're running two-way active with GS60s in the kicks, crossed acoustically around 600Hz. Using a VX1000/5i.

They really handled EQ nicely. Before EQ, the top-end was lacking (off axis), but as soon as I applied EQ, it soaked it right up. The only thing I'd do differently if I could do his install over is get a DSP that has more bands, as 10 bands is not enough for the off-axis wideband, since that wideband has to handle such a wide range of freqs. Might be enough bands on axis, though! His setup is not as good, for example, as my active 3-way, with tweets/mids on A pillars, in my similar Jeep, but if the wideband was on axis I bet it would give my setup a run for its money!

They're definitely well worth the money...pretty good deal if you ask me!
    JL Rubicon: Stinger Heigh10, MiniDSP DL, Hertz Mille Legend 3-way, JL XD800/8 + XD1000/1 + 10W7 Ported @ 30Hz
    981 GT4: Mosconi Gladen One 90.8 DSP, Dynaudio MD102 Tweeters, Factory Mids, Morel MW9 Woofers