Thread: Mosconi Pro 1/10 vs MMATS . Is the 1/10 really THAT good?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mosconi Pro 1/10 vs MMATS . Is the 1/10 really THAT good?

Hello everyone.

The question: Is the Mosconi Pro 1/10 really that good? Is it that much better than the competition? Is it worth jumping through some hoops if I can use one?

Background:
    I had a friend offer me a used Mosconi Pro 1/10 at a price that I'm very tempted by. It's approximately half of the retail price. I've read a bunch of high end installs that use them and that they seem to be one of the monoblocks chosen routinely for "high-end" installs. My first dilemma is space. I don't currently have room for a second amp, so even mounting it is going to involve a bit of work. My second dilemma is that I currently have space for a second subwoofer (if the car audio gods wish me to have it), the box has an empty 10-12" hole and another .55-.6 cubic feet waiting. If I got the Mosconi Pro 1/10 - I could end up needing another one... which means that my second subwoofer suddenly got a LOT more expensive. I don't have the budget currently for a second subwoofer, so I may end up rolling around with my current set up for a year or more before that happens.

My other option would be to get a MMATS M.2000.1 which would give me the same 1000w @ 2 ohms that the Mosconi Pro would give me, but it would also be able to deliver 2000w @ 1 ohm if I were to get a second subwoofer. Its a similar size to the Mosconi Pro 1/10, only an inch bigger which is inconsequential.

My subwoofer is currently a single Focal 10wm in approximately a .55-.6 cu.ft. box in my spare tire well. I'm powering it with the 5+6 channels of a MMATS 6150d so it is getting around 550w @ 2 ohm, but since its a 1.6 ohm subwoofer it may be getting closer to 700 watts. I asked MMATS about powering a subwoofer using the 5+6 channel on the 6150d, and a few people at the company (both in sales and engineering) told me that 100% the 6150d CAN do it ... but that one of their dedicated monoblocks would do it much better. The shop that sold me the 10wm also recommended that I put it on a Mosconi Pro 1/10 to do it justice. In both cases I trust who I spoke to and don't feel like I was getting a sales pitch. TBH though, I don't truly understand why an amp that I LOVE for playing 80-20khz wouldn't be just as good playing 10-80hz (which it is spec'd to do) - but maybe that's a different topic.

WinISD tells me that in this box I'll be hitting Xmax with ~650 watts. The shop that sold it to me said that they routinely install them with 800-1000w and that they prefer 1000w. Using WinISD it shows that I'd only be about 1-2mm above xmax from 10-30hz @1000w, so the 1000w doesn't seem so far off.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Mosconi Pro 1/10 vs MMATS . Is the 1/10 really THAT good?

Between those two amps, I would highly doubt you would ever be able to tell a difference, especially at subwoofer frequencies. Get the one that has the right cost to performance ratio for you.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd get the Mmats. I was facing the exact same dilemma as you recently. I went with the Mmats after talking to David, owner of Mmats. Strictly going by getting the 1 ohm capable amp for longevity and versatility in the future. Plus, look at the internal components. Mosconi pro is good but nothing special. And I have a Mosconi amp. I have concluded that amps are overrated unless you are truly buying something high end. And I mean high end. Brax, Macintosh, Sinfoni, etc.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 1/10 on the way currently, and then I’ll have a second one and another 4/10 to make a more flexible mounting setup for my corsa with extra space for a pair of IB 18’s of some brand

5. Back To Top    #5

What made you choose the 1/10? Sounds like you also picked the 4/10 so you must be a believer.

6. Back To Top    #6

I was aiming in the 1 ohm capable amp as well. I am currently trying to drive 1.6ohms w/ 800-1000w. Their m.2k.1 would give it 1k @ 2 ohm, but also would allow me to do 2k@0.8ohm if I had a second subwoofer. 2ohms would be treating the amp to an easy load, and it would give me upgrade possibilities in the future. Apparently the m.xx.1 are good for 0.5-1ohm, so for me 0.8 ohms is within its stated capabilities if/when needed.

I talked to Dave to verify its 2 ohm capabilities and he ended up convincing me to stick with the Hifi 6150d since I'm not driving it as hard as I could. The 5+6 channels can do 1450+w (if not using channels 1-4). The amp is essentially fully rated to do full power on channels 5+6 with whatever channels 1-4 aren't using. I think the reason I was pointed in the direction of using a monoblock by MMats (both from Dave and their sales dept.) was because I thought I would be taxing channels 1-4 to the absolute limit (550w @ 2ohm x2).