Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Xover Zone EQ

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Xover Zone EQ

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    And flatten the cone breakup peak at 6.5khz (very important! It’s effectively extra energy input from cone resonances)
    So, help me understand. Lets say I lowpass the mid I've shown @ 2100 ish then eq up to 3500 with a 24db slope added........how does the peak at 6.5hz come into play? Wouldn't it just for lack of a better explanation sort of dissipate or become non-relevant because of the 4th crossover at 2100 and eq through 3500?

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by platoon2063 View Post
    So, help me understand. Lets say I lowpass the mid I've shown @ 2100 ish then eq up to 3500 with a 24db slope added........how does the peak at 6.5hz come into play? Wouldn't it just for lack of a better explanation sort of dissipate or become non-relevant because of the 4th crossover at 2100 and eq through 3500?
    You wouldn't have to worry about that.

3. Back To Top    #23

Quote Originally Posted by platoon2063 View Post

Anyways, I'm retuning and quite often read about avoiding EQ within the xover zone. What is the interpretation/definition of the xover zone?
    This is not true. You need to EQ outside of the "xover zone" to achieve your correct crossover slopes. Like for example, if you have a 80hz HPF, you might want to eq down to 43hz

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    You wouldn't have to worry about that.
    Cone break up is audible, especially when it’s a peak this big… you don’t worry about it… but it doesn’t mean it’s not a thing or can’t be heard or pull a stage down or somewhere other than where it should be

for the sake of one band of eq why wouldn’t you squash it?

5. Back To Top    #25

Cone break up is audible, especially when it’s a peak this big… you don’t worry about it… but it doesn’t mean it’s not a thing or can’t be heard or pull a stage down or somewhere other than where it should be

for the sake of one band of eq why wouldn’t you squash it?
    Since he's talking about a 2 khz lowpass, that cone breakup will be effectively eq'd out by the xover.

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    Since he's talking about a 2 khz lowpass, that cone breakup will be effectively eq'd out by the xover.
    and yet I’ve still tuned cars that exhibited just this, and if the car reinforces that freq, you will hear it regardless of the crossover being there… it’s still a huge out of band peak… you don’t worry about it, I do… and would squash it regardless

Big differences in freq amplitude are way more likely to be picked up and effect imaging as I’ve said, it will still be loud relative to other freqs around it

7. Back To Top    #27

and yet I’ve still tuned cars that exhibited just this, and if the car reinforces that freq, you will hear it regardless of the crossover being there… it’s still a huge out of band peak… you don’t worry about it, I do… and would squash it regardless

Big differences in freq amplitude are way more likely to be picked up and effect imaging as I’ve said, it will still be loud relative to other freqs around it
    If you've got an extra band of eq to give it, it can only help, but that peak will likely be more than 30 db down with LR 24 db xovers.