Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Great Videos about Acoustic and Electrical Filters

This is a great series to watch, these are done by Nathan Lively:

Avoid doubling up electrical and acoustical filters

How to choose starting filters for crossover alignment

How to choose crossover filters for matching slopes

Set driver gain and filter cutoff to match crossover target

This last video takes some type of software that can measure phase, SMAART is great, but Open Sound Meter is similar and free. You could do this just by looking at the combined RTA results to get a 6db summation to a certain extent.

How to use delay to match slopes in your crossover alignment

Some Others:

How to use Auto EQ in REW

Should you use band limited pink noise as your test signal (for overall measurements)
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 07-23-2021 at 10:11 AM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Great Videos about Acoustic and Electrical Filters

Thank you for sharing! I love this guy's videos!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hehe, I see he’s changed his formula for calculating the time difference after someone pointed out you didn’t need delta frequency in it… my ocd meant I had to message him as you are trying to calculate a time measurement at a single frequency you don’t need delta freq in his original equation on his older vids, it’s always 0

his 10db up and down is good as well, above and below that generally the information doesn’t effect the crossover summation unless it’s a very big peak, always take down driver cone breakups (and in my case ignore the 50hz mains hum of the laptop is plugged in )

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Ya, I've noticed some errors in some of the things he does too. One of his videos recently, he was talking about q but not doing it correctly. He did correct himself later on, but the first half of the video I was getting a little concerned.
    Video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRa6HGCqrSw

Overall though, I have really enjoyed most of his videos, especially on how to use SMAART. Between him and Merlijn van Veen, everything you really need to get great results using Smaart or other programs that can measure phase in real time is readily available and in a format that most should be able to grasp.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods