Thread: First time with REW, need guidence ^^

1. Back To Top    #1

First time with REW, need guidence ^^

Hi!

im new with REW and im tuning in my car, been using the helix built inn rta function until now, i only got an audessey mic and an yamaha ypao mic, going to buy umik 1

front:
    tweeters focal kx3 1" in sail pods
    midrange audison voce 3" in pillar pods
    bass focal flax evo 6.5" in ported door pods

rear:
    tweeter focal titanium something, in door panel
    midrange focal kx3 ", mounted on/inn door panel
    bass ground zero 6.5" small subs inn door
    sub RF 12" ported box

pioneer HU
    Helix dsp 1

my recent tune i thought i got the best results i gotten so far to the curve ive created, wanted lower highs and more low mids and powerfull bass.
    bass was almost perfect after i used bass boost +4 on the pioneer head unit, oddly enough. i thought i did not need to bass boost more since i went with +20db at 20 - 60 hz in my target curve, but with +4 on the head unit it now sounds gold with my new ported doors pods
    the lower mids dosent sound well, never has in my passat b6, some sort of wierd dips around 500hz and 800hz maybe around 250hz too.
    the upper mids still sounds too bright and loud, dont sound like 'Quality'.
    highs still high somehow, tweeters upfront all alone seem very low volume, rear fill crossed att 350hz and 7khz.

my tweets and mids uppfront is on passive kx3 crossover together where i have lowered the tweeter db setting on the crossover, will that result inn the crossover point between them moved higher? so the cheaper audison voce mids play more highs and the better kx3 tweets play less?
    that could explain my bright mids. with the audison beeing ok but not good enough, planning to replace in future.

could anyone check my measurements and see if ive done something wrong? or give tips and tricks

i did some sweeps with some speakers playing together, deleted those where i inverted one speaker, those results was way off.

Rew Measurements tune 2 xo2000hz rear fill part 1.zip
    Rew Measurements tune 2 xo2000hz rear fill part 2.zip
    Rew Measurements tune 2 xo2000hz rear fill part 3.zip

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: First time with REW, need guidence ^^

Without microphone correction files (what makes cheap measurement microphones accurate), these results do not really mean much. Audyssey and ypao microphones have the correction built into the AVR's.

+20db bass....Holy cow that is a lot.....If you are not getting too much bass with that, you have phase issues.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok yeah im aware :-) read some tests that they are not too far off, - +3db, better than too not use it at all.

No phase issues in bass, just hard to get that right quality powerfull sound i want, really picky that way xD
    What are you running?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Just looked at your REW measurements, we need speaker pairs and with sub measurements. Individual speaker measurements alone do not tell us enough.

What I can tell you, you have about a Linkwitz Riely 6th order (36 db/oct) slope at 51hz on your woofers and somewhere around a 5th order (30db/oct slope) at 100hz, it wasn't quite 4th order and wasn't quite 6th order on your subwoofer.

What does this mean, there is no way you don't have phase issues between these two drivers. You have acoustically asymmetrical crossover points with different order crossovers. You need acoustically the same crossover point that is Linkwitz Riley 24db / oct slope to have minimal phase issues with correct time alignment. They are also within 10db of each other from about 50hz to about 160hz. That is a pretty wide interaction and will definitely cause phase issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.05.55.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	16085
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.08.07.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	16086
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Also these look like sweeps in a single spot. Do not EQ based on that. It is fine to set time alignment and see distortion from that, but not to eq.

Use the Moving Mic Method (MMM). I prefer to recline the front driver seat and sit in the back. This was after reading Floyd Toole's book about measuring in a movie theatre and the seats caused odd measurements due to the reflections off of the seats, things we wouldn't hear apparently. They then measured above the seats to fix this issue. We can do that in cars by reclining the seat out of the way.

Here is a good video by Erin Hardinson about the MMM method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXWfJrl8aBw

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

It is also a similiar story with your tweeters and woofers:

The woofer lowpass is pretty good with a 24 db / oct slope (4th order) at 1865hz. The tweeter on the other hand is a 6th order (where it counts) at 1760hz. When it gets down to about 1200hz, it goes to a 24db / oct slope, but this is isn't as important as the crossover region where both speakers are playing within 10db of each other.

Also note that crazy noise floor issue (how the response starts increases again starting below 200hz) on the first picture, this is the microphone not being the right thing for the job.
    Attachment 16087BAttachment 16088

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow thanks noted!

The noise floor might also be because i do measurments with car running, could not read the attachments.
    also done mmm before and tried this time with mic in one place and i think your right :-)
    Interesting so recline seat and sit in the back, recline just front seat or both? Alittle or all the way?
    Then sit in the back and wave the mic on a stick where the head would be?

I will get a umik 1 and go over things and double check for phase issues.

Sub overlaping to woofer is a bad idea?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Yes, sit in the back passenger seat, recline drivers seat backwards. I do all the way.
    I use a stick with bungy straps to hold the microphone holder on, or a boom pole, or a paint roller extender, etc. Really anything that works.

Sub overlapping (asymmetrical acoustic crossovers), without proper equipment to account fo this, causes major phase issues. Same with asymmetrical crossover slopes, ideally you want acoustically Linkwitz 24 db / oct to get rid of as much phase issues as possible.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thx, i think i understand, should i try to cross my sub at 60hz like my woofer and make the slopes 24db and make them meet like i did my lows and highs?
    What if i do 12db/oct slopes?

I readjusted the passive crossovers, they where at mid +3 and tweets - 3db, have now set them to 0 and 0 but not re eq yet, maybe this caused wierd slopes down the slopes��

Will try out your method for mmm in the future��
    Also what target curve do you go for?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Read this (and all of the articles on there are good to read too as well as his tuning guide):

https://www.audiofrog.com/crossovers...o-choose-them/