Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helix DSP.3 (Possibly) Simple Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Helix DSP.3 (Possibly) Simple Issues

Hey I'm sorry if this is super obvious but I had issues with my Dayton Audio 408's noise floor/gain issues, so I'd really like to get this right on this upgraded DSP:

After swapping out DSP's I'm seeing the clip light on the Helix (DSP.3) constantly illuminated. Regardless of the volume of the head unit. I can't for the life of me understand why?
    I'm also having an issue where the DSP seems to turn on the amps when it wants to and stay on kind of randomly after the remote in signal should have cut. Is this an install issue or an RMA matter?

I am getting ready to go use the SMD DD+ on the RCA's feeding the DSP to see if maybe they're sending way too high a voltage. (Flashing the car with Forscan is supposed to get it to output a clean 4v variable low-level which I've converted to RCA's and plugged into the Helix)

Setup
    Car - 2018 Mustang GT Premium (9 Speaker) flashed with Forscan for flat signal out
    DSP - Helix DSP.3
    Two reused 5 channel amps (only using 7 of the channels) running a 3-Way Active Front Stage and single Subwoofer (no rear fill)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

Re: Helix DSP.3 (Possibly) Simple Issues

Is the clipping light flashing red? or just on? Unless it's flashing red you are fine and just need to read your manual. If it is constantly on red it is seeing way too much power and you will need to test the signal. From the factory it is set for 11 volts of input signal, that should be perfectly safe and likely the input sensitivity will need to be increased.
    Doug Dobson

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dobslob View Post
    Is the clipping light flashing red? or just on? Unless it's flashing red you are fine and just need to read your manual. If it is constantly on red it is seeing way too much power and you will need to test the signal. From the factory it is set for 11 volts of input signal, that should be perfectly safe and likely the input sensitivity will need to be increased.
    Thanks for the quick response. It is always on and solid. I just thought there was an issue because it does not turn off regardless of volume. Also the input gain dial is all the way low (counterclockwise)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

So the light is always on red? Or is it always on green? If it is just green, you need to adjust it, if it is always on red there is an issue.
    Doug Dobson

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dobslob View Post
    So the light is always on red? Or is it always on green? If it is just green, you need to adjust it, if it is always on red there is an issue.

It’s on constant red which I thought was weird. The Helix is also not turning off when I turn off the ignition (I know sounds crazy). Today I tested the positive, ground, remote in and out on the harness that feeds the DSP in both key on and key off situations. Despite the fact that remote-in is at 0volts when the ignition is on, the DSP and connected Amps turn on immediately after the battery is reconnected. I tried to mess with (and turn off) the power save setting in PC-tool, but I feel like there’s something big I’m missing.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Have you tried disconnecting the RCA inputs just to see if it will power off?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Have you tried disconnecting the RCA inputs just to see if it will power off?
    Thank you so so much. The RCA’s are causing it to stay on for some reason. I was able to get gains set and crossovers and everything. What I’m not understanding however, is I understood all of the “smart” remote sensing features for the Helix were with the high level inputs. If I have absolutely nothing connected on that high level adapter, I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Not sure how relevant, but what’s interesting, is that I have gone back to the Power Saving feature, and after the 10 seconds I’ve selected it cuts power to the amps, but ends up turning them back on. Removing all four input RCA’s did the trick though.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Just spitballing here...go to the DCM tab> ACO Features, and turn ADEP.3 SB Compatibility mode to "disabled". If that has no effect, report back how your signal management is setup

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	294 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	16026

9. Back To Top    #9

set auto-remote to off? https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/medi...-DSP-3_Web.pdf (pg 20)

The DSP.3 will be turned on automatically if the Highlevel Input is used or if a signal is applied to the remote input terminal. The “Auto Remote” switch allows to deactivate the automatic turn- on feature of the highlevel inputs. The feature should be deactivated (Auto Remote = Off) if there are e.g. noises while switching on / off the signal processor.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Ahhh...I didn't know the DSP.3 had a physical switch inside.