Thread: Concerned about the sun cooking drivers inside A pillar pods.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Concerned about the sun cooking drivers inside A pillar pods.

We're in a record breaking heat wave here, yesterday it was 42C, (over 107F), it's now 10AM Sunday morning with a temp. of 35C and climbing. I'm in the process of mounting small fiberglass mid-tweet pods onto the A pillars in my car (in an air conditioned garage thankfully) and I'm concerned about how the heat will affect the drivers over the long haul. Wondering if anyone has had problems with surrounds deteriorating or cones warping? I'm not much worried about the 'glass pods as I used epoxy for laying up and baked them in the vacuum bag at 160F for several hours while they cured.

I had the idea of drilling a couple of 1mm holes in the pods to let heat build up out and would like to know if anyone has had to deal with this problem?

Thanks for any replies.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concerned about the sun cooking drivers inside A pillar pods.

usually the automotive drivers are designed to deal with extreme heat and humidity. they should have a operating range for temperature and humidity.

challenges i see with install is paint/vinyl/suede fading from the sun/uv or glue separating.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Concerned about the sun cooking drivers inside A pillar pods.

Other than a sunshade for the windshield, search for a pair of sunshades for the front windows. It makes a big difference to the interior temperature. Rear windows should be tinted.