Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas on how to make a swappable sub box wall

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Ideas on how to make a swappable sub box wall

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    And yes - I'm adding a half inch more clearance to that grille. Going to make it hard to get the sub in and out to swap but I think I solved that too with a brace/support...
    Why would it be hard to get out? you use threaded spacers. screw on the spacers from the back side so they are studs, then use machine screws on the grille. easy peasy to go in and out. Socket head cap screws prevent buggering up screw heads through frequent removal. Spacers are fixed in space so there's no complex alignment or fiddly bits to roll away on you.

Or if you want to get fancy you make the spacer out of 1/2" MDF and cut to the same profile as the grille, though that makes finishing complicated and it's a bit delicate in process.

----------------

Actually, I can think of a rather elegant way to do it with (lots of) neo mags. Like a bit holder on a socket driver, an alignment pin or three makes the grille and even the ring the grille is attached to fit into place securely, and then a bunch of large neo magnets hold it in place during normal loads and even small car accidents...

2. Back To Top    #12

Re: Ideas on how to make a swappable sub box wall

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Why would it be hard to get out? you use threaded spacers. screw on the spacers from the back side so they are studs, then use machine screws on the grille. easy peasy to go in and out. Socket head cap screws prevent buggering up screw heads through frequent removal. Spacers are fixed in space so there's no complex alignment or fiddly bits to roll away on you.

Or if you want to get fancy you make the spacer out of 1/2" MDF and cut to the same profile as the grille, though that makes finishing complicated and it's a bit delicate in process.

----------------

Actually, I can think of a rather elegant way to do it with (lots of) neo mags. Like a bit holder on a socket driver, an alignment pin or three makes the grille and even the ring the grille is attached to fit into place securely, and then a bunch of large neo magnets hold it in place during normal loads and even small car accidents...
    So this pic should help with the problem, and my yet-unproven solution.

The stacked trim rings are going to be pretty tight around the sub flange and about 1.25" deep overall - recessed, with not enough gap to get your fingers in to try to pluck the sub out.

With the subs being so heavy it's going to be tough even to get them in - but with that big recess and narrow gap it'll be tough to get them out in a controlled way... Even if I make a curved filler for the gap, as a temp tool to use, for the sub to rest on as I bolt it - it's still going to be tough to pull out without the sub crashing into the trim rings and I don't want scratches.

So I built a very minimal magnet support inside. It's sized to the W7, so as i loosen those bolts, it'll just drop slightly, and the magnet can slide along that support until I can get my fingers around it. Should also work fine for the GTI.

I used my wide-angle lens so the proportions are tough to see, was just trying to capture more -

My Brahma and XBL^2 12s aren't as deep so at some point I can make a screw-on adapter for their shorter/smaller motors.

I thought about making the rings removable - but that grille isn't 360 and there would be a visible seam... Mainly though I was worried about buzzing for the unsecured upper and lower portion, but now that you mention magnets - that could be a solution for that.

Maybe I'll give that a thought...
    Remove the grille, remove the ring - would make it easier, we'll see!