Thread: GB60 paired with GB15, or ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 Beryllium?

1. Back To Top    #1

GB60 paired with GB15, or ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 Beryllium?

Hi, I am considering pairing the GB60 with the GB15 or the ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 Beryllium.

They will be mounted in the sail panel on the door of a 10th gen Accord. Going for a mostly stock look.

I can fiberglass them to be on or off axis.

I believe the d3004 can not play as low as the gb15.

Tuning will be done with a cdsp 8x12DL

Does anybody have experience using the beryllium d3004 with the GB60? Am I gaining or loosing anything choosing this over the GB15?

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: GB60 paired with GB15, or ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 Beryllium?

I don't have personal experience with the D3004 Beryllium, but I've read about many folks not liking them. Seems like Scanspeak didn't quite get the implementation right, I have the soft-dome D3004's and they're great. If you're looking for an affordable-ish Beryllium tweeter, the Bliesma T25B-6 seems well-regarded https://solen.ca/products/speakers/h...-dome-tweeter/

Ge0 has an ongoing subjective review thread over on diyma, this is what he had to say about the Scanspeak Be's:

This is perhaps the only ScanSpeak driver I ever encountered that I do not recommend. The Scan be is hyper accurate. It has layers of detail. However, it throws all that detail in your face in a rather unpleasant way. It does not allow you to relax to your music.

I really thought this tweeter was going to be perfect. A ScanSpeak beryllium dome! However, it was far from that to me. Especially after hearing the Focal Utopia TBXP and TBM. The Scan Be was just downright fatiguing. Yes, it was very detailed. However, it could not contain and project that detail in a controlled manner. For lack of a better term, it just puked it out.

There was no polish. There was no smoothness. I spent a few days with the tweeter trying to tame it down. However, all I succeeded in was making it sound dull. So, it was either too dull or it was overbearing. I had a ton of other speakers to review so I abandoned ship. It may be worth re-investigating in the future. However, for now have better things to do.

ScanSpeak D3004/6040 Beryllium dome tweeter rating:

Tonality 3 of 4
    Detail 4 of 4
    Spaciousness 3 of 4
    Harshness (lack of) 2 of 4
    Dynamics 3 of 4

Edit: I also don't have experience with the GB15, but it would pair well with the GB60's. They can handle crossing over lower, which is suitable for avoiding the typical beaming issues with larger mid-woofers off-axis in the doors. But larger tweeters will beam earlier in the treble range, so they may be more finicky about aiming on-axis. Lots of folks use this combo and are very happy with them.
    Last edited by goatpanda; 06-08-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.