Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Where should I buy a Helix DSP Mini in the US?

1. Back To Top    #51

Re: Where should I buy a Helix DSP Mini in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Regarding the routing... I too use an optical connection. Really, you can use either the main routing table or the digital routing table. It really only matters if you are going to have more than one type of input (so if you had both analog and digital inputs) - so that you could control which one is active, etc. If you are only going to use a single optical input, the results are the same whether you use the Main or Digital routing table.

Personally, I use the main input now for my setup.
    Thanks! That will certainly help me get started.

One more question. I want to be able to toggle between presets. It looks like the DSP.2 can only store two at a time, which seems like an odd limitation, but this is really all I need a "remote" to do. Is it possible to buy some existing cable that will plug into this unit, which I can cut the end off of and just add a switch between the proper wires? If so, is it a momentary or toggle switch and do I need anything else connected for the device to enable this functionality?

Thankfully it uses an 8-pin mini-DIN. These were commonly used in the early to mid 90s for serial devices, like PC MIDI interfaces, which go from this to a DE9 connector. They were also used for serial interfaces on Apple and other computers back then too. I'm not about to lop off the end of the PC MIDI cable from a collectible old Roland synth, but I may be able to find something that I can use for this.

What do you guys think about this idea? The URC.3 looks interesting, but my head unit has a volume knob and steering wheel controls. I'm not currently enough of a purist to need to control the main volume from the DSP (as is often recommended), I'd rather just have the one main knob to deal with. I also have a remote level knob for my Kicker subwoofer amp, so I'll be good with that.

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

There is a thread somewhere on how to make your own helix remote. But the urc.3 is fairly "cheap" at like $60 compared to the parts needed to build your own.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #53

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    There is a thread somewhere on how to make your own helix remote. But the urc.3 is fairly "cheap" at like $60 compared to the parts needed to build your own.
    As mentioned, I only need a button on a cord, so it's fairly expensive for me.

I cleared out a ton of stuff from the local RadioShack at 95% off when they closed, so I have toggle switches and momentary switches coming out my ears. I just need a 10+ foot 8pin mini din cable.

Sorry, I meant to include the link to this thread in my previous post. This is probably the one you're talking about. This thread doesn't seem to specify exactly the kind of switch. It mentions using a toggle, but my understanding of circuits is pretty bad, so I'm not 100% sure.
    https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...2#post-2148865
    https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/how-to-make-your-own-remote-controller-for-helix-and-brax-dsps.141022/page-3#post-4486537

4. Back To Top    #54
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Well then there is your answer
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #55

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Well then there is your answer
    I assumed they were referring to a momentary push button switch (since they contrasted it do a toggle) but I guess they probably mean a push button toggle switch. I'll see what I can come up with and where to mount it.

6. Back To Top    #56

Yes, the button that comes on the URC-2/URC-3 is definitely a push-button switch. It's the type that stays "in" when engaged and pops "out" when not engaged. It's not an "electronically toggled" toggle switch - it's more of a "mechanically toggled" toggle switch, if you know what I mean.

Sorry - Im sure those aren't the proper terms, but I'm sure you know what I mean. :-)

7. Back To Top    #57

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Yes, the button that comes on the URC-2/URC-3 is definitely a push-button switch. It's the type that stays "in" when engaged and pops "out" when not engaged. It's not an "electronically toggled" toggle switch - it's more of a "mechanically toggled" toggle switch, if you know what I mean.

Sorry - Im sure those aren't the proper terms, but I'm sure you know what I mean. :-)
    Yep, I know exactly what you mean! Thank you!

Looks like I can buy a 10 foot 8pin mini-din m/f extension on Amazon for $9, and I'll run that behind my dash somewhere where I will then attach a shorter one with a switch on the end of it. That way if I ever decide that I want a real Helix remote of some kind I can just swap it in for my cobbled-up button without having to run another cable.
    Last edited by ozzuneoj; 06-12-2021 at 12:21 PM.