Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should I buy a Helix DSP Mini in the US?

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Where should I buy a Helix DSP Mini in the US?

Best advice, play with all of the softwares (you can download minidsp and helix software without having the devices). See which one you can use the best. Then buy that one.

I do not see some options in the screen shot for the audio dynamics (Input eq, Group time delay, all pass filters, some of the center channel algorithms, differential rear fill, etc) that you can use in the minidsp and helix options. Some of the minidsp options do require software upgrades, but these are relatively cheap.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #22

I'm playing with some of the software right now to see how they work.

For a "decent sound quality" setup like mine (with okay but not high-end equipment) are there features\adjustments that a Helix DSP (specifically Mini) would provide that are just not possible with other cheaper options?

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by ozzuneoj View Post
    I'm playing with some of the software right now to see how they work.

For a "decent sound quality" setup like mine (with okay but not high-end equipment) are there features\adjustments that a Helix DSP (specifically Mini) would provide that are just not possible with other cheaper options?
    100% yes. Doesn't matter the system. There are things that helix (and minidsp to that point) does that makes any system better. The cheaper ones that just do basic para eq, crossovers, and time alignment are good and better than nothing. But in reality you need more than that for most systems, especially if you are installing and using other factory components like factory head units or tying in after factory amps.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Advantage to Helix is it comes with an Auto T/A and Auto EQ feature. Don't even need REW if you don't want. However, I can't say if the mini supports these features. It might have to be DSP.3 or better.

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    100% yes. Doesn't matter the system. There are things that helix (and minidsp to that point) does that makes any system better. The cheaper ones that just do basic para eq, crossovers, and time alignment are good and better than nothing. But in reality you need more than that for most systems, especially if you are installing and using other factory components like factory head units or tying in after factory amps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    Advantage to Helix is it comes with an Auto T/A and Auto EQ feature. Don't even need REW if you don't want. However, I can't say if the mini supports these features. It might have to be DSP.3 or better.
    Are Auto T/A and Auto EQ the only significant differences?

Other than convenience, what benefits do the Auto T/A and Auto EQ bring over setting things to match REW measurements?

I guess I'm just wondering where the point of diminishing returns is with this stuff. I'm not using high end speakers (currently using a component set with a passive crossover because my amp is only 2x100w), and I may at some point upgrade, but the price difference for Helix gear is quite high when you figure in basic accessories to switch presets without having to crawl into the trunk.

I don't doubt that a Helix DSP is an awesome piece of equipment, it just feels like the prices are being deliberately kept high (dealers openly saying they aren't allowed to ship to the market of competing dealers) and massively overpriced accessories ($100 for a box with two knobs and a button), simply because there's no other choice.

I guess my biggest gripe is that I don't see any indication that there is any way to control the device (wifi or bluetooth) without buying something or pressing the single button on the unit itself (in the trunk). I see they have a Wifi control app for Helix DSPs, but it looks like it requires an adapter, and I'm sure it's at least $150.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Helix is the best quality option, but it is nearly double the price with controls.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

These are some of the things minidsp and helix offer. This list is not an end all.
    Input eq, Group time delay, all pass filters, some of the center channel algorithms, differential rear fill, etc

7. Back To Top    #27

Honestly, I feel that "extra" features of the Helix DSP's are even *more* useful with less-than-optimal equipment! :-) The "extras" can actually help you overcome the limitations of "lesser" systems.

Personally, I really like the Helix Augmented Bass Processing, as well as the ClarityXpander feature. Allpass filters are nice to have as well. I don't use auto-time-alignment or auto-EQ as I feel that I can get better results manually, but it's there for a "quick" tune if needed.

But the biggest thing about Helix, IMO - is that the software just "makes sense". At least to me, it's so much easier to use - and they are *constantly* updating it - and it's the same software for ALL of their DSPs, which is nice. A lot of times you'll buy a DSP and may not ever see a software update for your specific device. The DSR-1, for example, has some horrible issues - yet, they haven't updated the software in years. The issues will never be fixed - it's a "dead end" product.

I am, however, completely with you in that $250 to add wifi to a DSP that should be wifi-capable from the factory, is crazy. At this price point, wifi should be included, IMO. That being said, you don't *need* wifi - you can tune it via a USB cable if you want. The URC-3 "box with two dials" is only about $70, if I remember correctly - but you really don't need it either. I have a DSP.3 and don't use a URC remote. I use my subs knob to control the sub and use my OEM head-unit to control volume - really don't need any other controls.

Yes, they are a pain to buy - and they (and their accessories) are expensive - but the Helix DSP's are *so* much better, IMO. It's a one-time cost. A good DSP is really the "brains" of your system - and not something that I would compromise too much on. I started with a DSR-1 because I didn't need a "high end" DSP - but it was all wasted time and aggravation that I could have avoided if I just bought the Helix to begin with. All to save $200 or $300 on a system that I've put thousands into....

Just my two cents. :-)

8. Back To Top    #28

I appreciate the the input jtrosky.

I wish I could find a cheap(er) used one at least.

9. Back To Top    #29

If you have time to wait, one is bound to come up over on DIYMA or here... I had an "extra" DSP.3, but just recently sold it to a friend for $400+shipping (believe it or not, I actually found it in Ebay for that price - was like brand new - couldn't pass it up, even though I didn't *really* need it). I was going to keep it as a "spare", but my friend had a need for one, so I let him have it. They do come up every once in a while - just have to be patient (easier said than done, I know!).

If you have the time, give it a few weeks - I'm sure that one will come up for sale. Maybe post a "WTB" (Wanted to buy) thread - someone might have one they are willing to let go.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

I don't want to say that you have unrealistic expectations on pricing necessarily, but as Helix is a european brand, it would be unlikely that you would find it cheaper in the US than in Europe (like the Austrian ebay seller mentioned).

So if the ebay seller charge $450, and you can get one from a local, authorized dealer with warranty for $500, then you're getting a great deal for the extra $50. Full warranty and support. If you feel this is keeping pricing deliberately high then so be it. For reference the retail on a DSP Mini over here in Norway is equal to 446USD. (Look up prices on Focal in the US vs Europe, they're not +10% like Helix, but +100% or more on certain models )

Well that was about the pricing in different markets. If it's worth it to you is a different matter off course. But as mentioned by others, you don't need any extras to make it work, you do all the settings via pc and the usb cable in included. Sure you could add a wifi transmitter for convenience, but it's far from a necessary component to get it to work. I've usually laid up a long usb cable from the dsp to the glovebox, and just pull it out to connect to the pc when doing any adjustments.