Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should I buy a Helix DSP Mini in the US?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Where should I buy a Helix DSP Mini in the US?

Hello everyone, I'm interested in buying my first DSP for the system I'll be putting into my car, and I'm pretty much set on a Helix DSP Mini. It should suit my needs for the foreseeable future since I'm only running a sub and a front stage (currently will use my existing 2 channel amp, with the component set's passive crossover, but may eventually get a 4 channel amp to go active in the future). I plan to use toslink for input into the DSP.

This DSP has sent the budget for my build significantly higher than I'd originally intended, but I think it's a decent investment in the long run versus buying something cheaper and then having to troubleshoot issues.

Where would you buy one if you are in the US?

I see there's an ebay seller that has them for $450 US shipped from Austria (~$480 after tax), but there also appear to be several international shops that have them as well, including on amazon.de.

Is it possible to get one in the US for less than the price of that ebay seller? I'd also want to be sure I had some kind of manufacturer warranty, given the cost of the unit.

To go along with this, I'll probably end up getting a UMIK-1 to hook up to a laptop for the calibration. I'm new to DSPs, but this seems like the best way to go... plus I can use it for the couple of systems I have in my house as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Where should I buy a Helix DSP Mini in the US?

Personally, I'd go with a DSP.3 at a minimum for future expansion. 6 channels runs out quick and mid-bass, mid and tweet is becoming very common for front stage, even in stock systems these days.

Search for a dealer near you. I would not buy from an unauthorized dealer, which all ebay are not.

https://www.msc-america.com/dealer-locator/

If you don't have one close, you could contact Skizer here and he can order one for you.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    Personally, I'd go with a DSP.3 at a minimum for future expansion. 6 channels runs out quick and mid-bass, mid and tweet is becoming very common for front stage, even in stock systems these days.

Search for a dealer near you. I would not buy from an unauthorized dealer, which all ebay are not.

https://www.msc-america.com/dealer-locator/

If you don't have one close, you could contact Skizer here and he can order one for you.
    Thanks for the input. The DSP.3 is out of my price range if the $700 price tag I'm seeing around the internet is accurate. To put the budget into perspective, I am installing mostly reused parts from my previous system (almost all from 2008) into an 11 year old vehicle I bought just last year. I'll be installing the JBL P660C set I took out of my old car (purchased new in 2017), along with a Fi Q 12" subwoofer in a custom sealed box. For amps I'll be using my old reliable Kicker ZX200.2 and ZX750.1 from ~2008. The head unit will be something more modern.

After researching for months and getting fed up with the current state of the head unit market, I was going to do this install for under $100 by reusing everything I already had (including repairing my old Kenwood X491 from ~2006), but I eventually figured out a setup that seemed to make sense for me, but was way more expensive than I'd originally intended. The Helix DSP Mini would be, for me, a huge expenditure. I can only justify it because it's something that will easily move from vehicle to vehicle in the future. I like to keep my stuff for years.

I live in the middle of nowhere in northern Pennsylvania, so there aren't any authorized dealers near me. I was hoping to just buy one online if possible. If I can't do that, I'll probably just have to give up on the Helix and buy a Dayton DSP-408 and a spdif DAC. Saves me $350+... I just hope I don't have some of the noise problems that others have reported with them. I was also really hoping to have a pure digital signal all the way to the DSP.

What is the going rate for a Helix DSP Mini or DSP.3 in the US if ordered from an authorized dealer?

Alternatively, I would certainly buy used but the price has to be worth not having any kind of warranty.

Thank you again for your time!
    Last edited by ozzuneoj; 05-30-2021 at 06:31 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Contact Neibur3 on here or Diyma. He's a Helix dealer.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2018 F150

Ive bought from Neibur3 before, good guy.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I sent Niebur3 and Skizer PMs. Just waiting to hear back now.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

If all else fails, you can get a minidsp c-dsp6x8

https://www.minidsp.com/products/car...-dsp/c-dsp-6x8
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    If all else fails, you can get a minidsp c-dsp6x8

https://www.minidsp.com/products/car...-dsp/c-dsp-6x8
    That's an option, but I've read a lot more praise for the Helix. I also need toslink for spidf and I'd rather not use converters if possible. I don't like adding more points of failure.

This is one of the main reasons I haven't just gone with the Dayton 408 since I'd need a toslink DAC in the chain as well.

I still haven't heard back from anyone about the Helix pricing or availability, but that's probably just due to the three day weekend. I did find a guy selling a used DSP Mini that is willing to ship. I'm a bit leery because I know there's always a risk, plus there is no warranty... but for under $250 plus shipping, it's certainly better than the $500 it costs (including shipping and tax) to get one from Europe. I'd honestly prefer new though.... just for the peace of mind.

9. Back To Top    #9

It's been a couple days and I still haven't heard back from either user about buying a Helix DSP.

Is there some other way to contact these guys? Send me a PM if you need to.

10. Back To Top    #10

I texted Niebur3 for you... he'll be in touch.