Thread: Upgrading microphone for aftermarket HU

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading microphone for aftermarket HU

I've got a Kenwood DDX9906XR, but it seems like people still have issues hearing me sometimes. Is it possible to replace the stock microphone with something else or it going to cause some funky stuff with the HU mic processing? It's a simple 2.5mm plug so I figure it can't be that special.
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Upgrading microphone for aftermarket HU

It could also just be that you need to make adjustments to the mic settings in the HU. Have you done a test call and adjusted the settings to see if anything helps?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I've got a Kenwood DDX9906XR, but it seems like people still have issues hearing me sometimes. Is it possible to replace the stock microphone with something else or it going to cause some funky stuff with the HU mic processing? It's a simple 2.5mm plug so I figure it can't be that special.
    How is it mounted? I used to install car phones back in the day, and I can tell from personal experience that having the mic element facing the wrong way will have a HUGE impact. Pics?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    It could also just be that you need to make adjustments to the mic settings in the HU. Have you done a test call and adjusted the settings to see if anything helps?
    I guess maybe I am expecting too much? I think the issue is that it sounds very hollow. I did not realize that there was speech quality adjustment so I'll give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    How is it mounted? I used to install car phones back in the day, and I can tell from personal experience that having the mic element facing the wrong way will have a HUGE impact. Pics?
    I thought the mics are omnidirectional so it didn't matter too much? I just have it pointing towards the center console.
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post

I thought the mics are omnidirectional so it didn't matter too much? I just have it pointing towards the center console.
    Nope, most are unidirectional

6. Back To Top    #6

Very directional.

In my wife's Acura, she can have a conversation effortlessly - and if I want to chime in from the passenger seat, I get "Sorry, I could barely hear that... What did he say?"

It's precisely for that reason -
    You want to aim the mic right at your headrest, so it picks up your voice without shouting.

And you can trust the mic won't pick up wind noise, engine noise, window noise, kid noise, passenger noise, etc, etc.

If you want both driver and passenger to contribute, you could try pointing it between the headrests, but I'd already worry about both of you being outside the sweet spot. Might take a mic on both sides. You can just use a Y-adapter.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk