Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DS18 as a reputable company - yes or no?

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: DS18 as a reputable company - yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by jettyman View Post
    Keep typing. It's quite revealing. Keep bashing America and praising China. You're all over the place in a thread you created asking if DS18 is reputable. You speak of admiration for China, bash America, lean manufacturing and Deming. You should have created 4 different threads. You can praise China until you're blue in the face. There's a reason the Chinese and others around the world are flocking to America and not vice versa. Oh, and I know all about Deming, quality management and lean principles. I went to school for it actually. Since you created this thread about DS18, you should stick with that.
    Your projection is what's revealing.

I haven't generalized on China or the USA - that's YOUR brain trying to generalize.

Did I make a point on Americans who oversimplify and feel entitled for that to magically succeed more than people who actually think, plan, and execute through details? I think you are helping me, with your projection.

Do I believe those people are directly attributable to the economic and societal decline that's caused the USA to drop on every global ranking, as other countries surpass us and our own life quality standards decline relative to where they were in the 70s when the middle class was larger than the poverty class? Yes.

Do I think there's a benefit to people saying "We're #1" when there's no integrity behind that? When those people are actually preventing pursuit of regaining any "#1", through their denial?

Even your failure to recognize the need for a thread like this - you want to turn it into a generalization. Your projection is why you can't understand why I asked "is DS18 good, or bad?" Could be either. I want the real answer, not an assumption based on a generalization.

Any contract manufacturer... is a contract manufacturer. You can't generalize about their country. The customer dictates the BOM and the specifications and tolerances. My comments on global manufacturing are that you CAN'T dismiss China as "crap" and you CAN'T generalize USA as "quality". Those are facts that your projections on stereotyping and generalizing can't make false.

My points on Deming are an example of history. That's the real moment that the US fell from the #1 position in auto manufacturing... The "I buy American" bumper stickers are an example of the denial that led to Ford and GMs own denial and decline... and their own need to manufacture overseas and in Mexico because it became too late to evolve existing factories and processes. Examples - that's not "bashing".

More importantly - and my reason for the mention (it was YOU who wanted the additional detail) - is that ALL manufacturing now embraces the lean concepts or they can't compete... quality OR price. Including car audio.

I've also got a second degree in business management. My first degree is in CIS and business intelligence. We used Harvard materials and was how I became introduced to Harvard Business Review. I'd encourage you to pick up a subscription to HBR - you will drop your need - possibly your ability - to oversimplify. Those anecdotes are well written and cautionary, and nothing in my decades of car audio industry experience (which has always simply been hobby- gone-wild consulting, secondary to the corporate career) is surprising.

There's very natural business methodology that's led to not only car audio boards being manufactured overseas. Like I said - I co-founded an SMT start-up IN America, and served as manufacturing engineer. That business model only works for industries that need perfection and can pay for it.

The boards we billed $5k for often didn't even contain customer-proprietary content, but we could ensure the medical device containing that board wouldn't overdose a patient, or the board wouldn't fail when in a satellite in space. Those standards aren't necessary for any consumer electronics. More importantly, as the middle class declines, the consumers become more price sensitive.
    ...In the early 90s, "$1/watt" was a bargain. Today, the high end brands often don't even have MSRPs set at $1/watt, even for class A/B, even after three decades of inflation. That's a reflection of economic change. Simple facts, not "bashing".
    If you REALLY had an economic education, you would not have projected with such oversimplification. That wouldn't be your mindset.

I'm repeating myself because you need to read these points without projecting. This is reality, which reflects our economic history, and our manufacturing realities. Business ONLY works within today's context... and today's context is a transitory moment in a history that you HAVE to be aware of it's current vector... The simpleton, denialistic "we're #1!" doesn't change the world, it doesn't make that fantasy true.

History and reality are what drive economics. It has ZERO to do with "bashing" or "loving" or any of your projections.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by geolemon; 07-24-2021 at 08:33 PM.

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Your projection is what's revealing.

I haven't generalized on China or the USA - that's YOUR brain trying to generalize.

Did I make a point on Americans who oversimplify and feel entitled for that to magically succeed more than people who actually think, plan, and execute through details? I think you are helping me, with your projection.

Do I believe those people are directly attributable to the economic and societal decline that's caused the USA to drop on every global ranking, as other countries surpass us and our own life quality standards decline relative to where they were in the 70s when the middle class was larger than the poverty class? Yes.

Do I think there's a benefit to people saying "We're #1" when there's no integrity behind that? When those people are actually preventing pursuit of regaining any "#1", through their denial?

Even your failure to recognize the need for a thread like this - you want to turn it into a generalization. Your projection is why you can't understand why I asked "is DS18 good, or bad?" Could be either. I want the real answer, not an assumption based on a generalization.

Any contract manufacturer... is a contract manufacturer. You can't generalize about their country. The customer dictates the BOM and the specifications and tolerances. My comments on global manufacturing are that you CAN'T dismiss China as "crap" and you CAN'T generalize USA as "quality". Those are facts that your projections on stereotyping and generalizing can't make false.

My points on Deming are an example of history. That's the real moment that the US fell from the #1 position in auto manufacturing... The "I buy American" bumper stickers are an example of the denial that led to Ford and GMs own denial and decline... and their own need to manufacture overseas and in Mexico because it became too late to evolve existing factories and processes. Examples - that's not "bashing".

More importantly - and my reason for the mention (it was YOU who wanted the additional detail) - is that ALL manufacturing now embraces the lean concepts or they can't compete... quality OR price. Including car audio.

I've also got a second degree in business management. My first degree is in CIS and business intelligence. We used Harvard materials and was how I became introduced to Harvard Business Review. I'd encourage you to pick up a subscription to HBR - you will drop your need - possibly your ability - to oversimplify. Those anecdotes are well written and cautionary, and nothing in my decades of car audio industry experience (which has always simply been hobby- gone-wild consulting, secondary to the corporate career) is surprising.

There's very natural business methodology that's led to not only car audio boards being manufactured overseas. Like I said - I co-founded an SMT start-up IN America, and served as manufacturing engineer. That business model only works for industries that need perfection and can pay for it.

The boards we billed $5k for often didn't even contain customer-proprietary content, but we could ensure the medical device containing that board wouldn't overdose a patient, or the board wouldn't fail when in a satellite in space. Those standards aren't necessary for any consumer electronics. More importantly, as the middle class declines, the consumers become more price sensitive.
    ...In the early 90s, "$1/watt" was a bargain. Today, the high end brands often don't even have MSRPs set at $1/watt, even for class A/B, even after three decades of inflation. That's a reflection of economic change. Simple facts, not "bashing".
    If you REALLY had an economic education, you would not have projected with such oversimplification. That wouldn't be your mindset.

I'm repeating myself because you need to read these points without projecting. This is reality, which reflects our economic history, and our manufacturing realities. Business ONLY works within today's context... and today's context is a transitory moment in a history that you HAVE to be aware of it's current vector... The simpleton, denialistic "we're #1!" doesn't change the world, it doesn't make that fantasy true.

History and reality are what drive economics. It has ZERO to do with "bashing" or "loving" or any of your projections.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    You haven't generalized China or the USA huh.....
    When was Deming born? Think about that. I know you won't get it but keep thinking about that. Are some of his theories sound, of course but keep thinking about that. The answer is there but I know you won't get it.
    Oh, have you discovered the answer to your original question? That's all any of us are really curious about. The rest of your dribble is rubbish. And I'll say this for everyone else. Spare us another page long response.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Looked at the DS18 website and though this looked familiar:

https://ds18.com/pages/recommended-enclosure-spaces

It's literally just cut and paste from Digital Designs website, so we at least know whose subs they have tried to copy. The DD box specs have been listed for years and years.

https://ddaudio.com/support/dd-box-design/

However, this is how it's presented:

We here at DS18 want you to get the absolute best sound and output from your new DS18 speakers. To help our customers, we have designed a set of box specs that can help any novice or professional builders along with questions they may have about enclosure specs. Our engineers and techs have had over 25 years of experience tuning enclosures and cabins for the best bass response. Box specs are not static but can change with every vehicle, every speaker placement, and even weather conditions can affect your vehicles audio. DS18 has combined all our experience together to bring you a set of box specs that would work for most vehicles. This include port specs, box volume, and subwoofer multiplier to further guide you along your journey to the perfect bass response for your vehicle.
    Digital Designs' original wording:
    We decided to base our box design efforts around the tuning range of 35Hz – 40Hz which allows the substage to be very effective in the frequency range that provides listeners with the most impact.
    DS18 engineers and techs:
    This box chart will usually land you in the tuning area of 35-40hz for your vehicle tuning.
    DS18 engineers and techs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	16089