Thread: Amp noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Amp noise

UPDATE to the below issue: I disconnected the RCA's from the H800 and then plugged them directly to the amp and the noise did not appear to be present. There was a hiss (not super loud), but the clicking and whine seem to have disappeared). I'm not sure what's going on with the H800, but I'll try some more things tomorrow to see if I can sort this out.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having some major amp noise issues. Up until today, I had a JL 300/4 installed in my 2015 F150. There was absolutely no noise issues, but I think the amp just wasn't sounding right. I ended up buying a Sony XM-GS4 to try out based on Matt Hall's budget amp review. I just swapped the amps today. Nothing else changed about the install.

Processing is handled by a combination of a Kenwood DMX1057XR and an Alpine H800. The H800 is only handling the processing for my GB25's. My GB10's and the stock front door speakers are processed through the Kenwood. Eventually I'll have the H800 processing everything, but I need to get some things sorted out first. The GB25's and GB10's are the speakers connected to the Sony amp. There is currently no sub (or sub amp) hooked up.

First off, I'll say that the Sony makes the speakers hooked up to it sound way better than I was ever able to get the JL to sound. I'm not trying to start something about whether all amps sound the same, and there may be something wrong with the JL amp, but there's a pretty significant difference between the two imo. I have the gains set very low on the Sony, due to there being approximately 5V going in from the Kenwood to the tweeters, and 5V plus whatever the H800 is supplying to the midranges.

Now, about the noise... Even if I don't turn the truck on, and turn it only to ACC, I get a constant clicking sound through the speakers connected to the Sony. When the truck is on, the clicking seems to go away, but is replaced by the whine, which increases in level when the gas is pressed. But, when I do something like close/open the door, or roll the windows up/down, the clicking will happen briefly. There's times when the noise issues seem to mostly disappear with only a very, very slight whine remaining (even when pressing on the gas), but only briefly.

Regarding the ground... The ground is connected to a factory ground located behind the rear seat (I have the supercrew). I've seen some people on the F150 forums stating to run the ground directly to the battery when people have asked where to ground their amps to, but others say that stock grounding point is just fine. It worked well for the JL amp. I don't really want to run a ground wire from the battery to the rear of the cab, but I will if recommended and if it's thought that it will really solve the issue.
    The RCA' are run on the opposite side of the truck as the power wire (however, they are are the same side as the remote wire). Again, nothing else changed. Just swapped the amps.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ryyo; 05-26-2021 at 10:40 PM.